a13monkey

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
I just put my system together last night and I cant get the monitor to come on. I have the i7 920, gigabyte ud5, 8 g g.skill mem, 1 tera byte wd hdd, gtx 260.

I have started the computer and all the lights work on the mobo and the case and fans. The optic drives open and all of that. Now the graphics card does not power up (well the fan doesnt spin) Im guessing this means that my card is bad but maybe I missed something. I hooked it up to my P&C 750W silencer. I tried reconnecting it and still nothing. I imagine that its my GPU thats fried. Let me know if you agree or think it maybe something else. Could it be my memory? or anything else please help me out?

are you positive everything is connected?

did you feel the click when you connected two 6 pin cables?

since even the fan is not spinning I think you didn't push the two power connectors all the way

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Heh, did you post a build thread on the forum and get help selecting your parts, getting input from members to ensure compatibility? Probably would have saved you some headache ;)

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
I didn't think ddr2 fit into a ddr3 slot? Arn't the slots on the side in different positions? Maybe i could be wrong with this one.
I did think that ddr3 dual channel did work for the i7 though, just that its not recommended?

I would still think he should get atleast a bad post with bad memory (or at least the fans to start up). Maybe not though.

There are 4 major plugs for your rig setup dealing with power. the 20/24 main power plug. The 4/8 plug for your vga stuff (a lot of people miss this one), and the two 6 pins for your gtx 260.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
DDR3 is DDR3 it can run single, dual or triple channel. It just depends on how many sticks you use. You just need to make sure your ddr3 is under 1.65v.

Sounds like you need to check your 8 pin CPU power connector to me.

Also read your manual it might noe run with 8g dual channel. Everyboard is different specs. Read the manual and see what ram combos you can use. i7 is meant to be 3, 6, 9, 12. Some board will let you run even numbers some wont.

It is always best to read the manual when you dont know what you are doing.