Sign in with
Your question

Core I7 920 Temp Problem, NEED EXPERT'S OPINION!!!

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2010 2:37:08 PM

I have a core i7 920 with a Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler and I am having some temperature issues right now. When I first built this machine I overclocked it to 3.6GHz using 1.28V. my temperature reading then was around 24-26C idle and 56-64C full load, it was similar to 3Dgameman's review of the cooler. however a nuke-n-pave and bios update later my temperature shot up to 42-48C idle and 68-74C full load. we tried everything... reseating the heatsink/CPU, backflashed the bios to what i originally had... none seems to work. oh and our ambient temp is 22C.... anyone got anything to say to this??????

My System:
Case: Raven RV01
CPU/Cooler: Intel Core I7 920 OCed@3.6 GHz / Zalman 9900 CPU Cooler
MotherBoard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
PSU: Corsair HX1000W
GPU: EVGA GTX285 2GB FTW Edition
Memory: 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 7200rpm
Optics: LG DVD Burner/Reader
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 11:55:44 PM

You mentioned that you re-seated the CPU/heatsink - can you check the % of contact that you obtain between the CPU and heatsink?
I would suggest that you polish the base of the heatsink so that it is flat; leave the CPU alone. Then apply thermal compound (AS5), re-assemble, and check your temps. After I polished just my heatsink (V8) base and re-assembled, I obtained a drop of 5 deg to 8 deg C on my i-7 920
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 12:03:52 AM

Why did you post this TWICE, go back to original post and answer the questions that have been brought up.

This is not a big mystery, you have a mediocure cooler and that's about the best it's going to do, live with it or get a better cooler.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2010 12:58:30 AM

RJR said:
Why did you post this TWICE, go back to original post and answer the questions that have been brought up.

This is not a big mystery, you have a mediocure cooler and that's about the best it's going to do, live with it or get a better cooler.

how does explain my previous temp? it doesnt..... i answered all the questions people asked.
m
l
April 14, 2010 1:20:43 AM

what are you using to monitor the temperatures? I was using Coretemp for a while, but they updated it for my CPU and the t-max value changed by 15c. so my values changed. I would google you motherboard and bios and check to see if the temperature readings changed...that is, maybe your temperatures haven't changed...just the bios and how it registers the temps. and maybe others have the same thing.
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:07:28 AM

japps2 said:
what are you using to monitor the temperatures? I was using Coretemp for a while, but they updated it for my CPU and the t-max value changed by 15c. so my values changed. I would google you motherboard and bios and check to see if the temperature readings changed...that is, maybe your temperatures haven't changed...just the bios and how it registers the temps. and maybe others have the same thing.

im using realtemp and speedfan
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 2:12:34 AM

You have been asked twice what program you are running to monitor your temps (this thread and the original thread), so far you haven't answered either. What is the Tjmax stated by the program you are using, before/now?

Go back to your original thread and answer Shadow.

Edit: guess I should have finished my post quicker, that one's answered. Still need the Tjmax (before/after)?
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:21:37 AM

slyphen,

I'm guessing that when you flashed the new bios it corrected the temperature. it's too much a coincidence that you flashed a new bios and all of a sudden your temps came up.

also...I found that coretemp seems better...try it and see if temps are the same. I would also look into changing out the cooler.
m
l
April 14, 2010 2:29:23 AM

japps2 said:
slyphen,

I'm guessing that when you flashed the new bios it corrected the temperature. it's too much a coincidence that you flashed a new bios and all of a sudden your temps came up.

also...I found that coretemp seems better...try it and see if temps are the same. I would also look into changing out the cooler.

i have already remounted the cooler, my previous temp correspond to the review temps of my cooler
m
l
April 14, 2010 12:58:21 PM

try to reset the CMOS of the bios and do it step by step again.
m
l
April 23, 2010 6:32:05 PM

jeyd02 said:
try to reset the CMOS of the bios and do it step by step again.

i reset the cmos, unfortunally it did not work
m
l
April 24, 2010 11:34:30 AM

that is why i leave the bios how it is, before making some changes, UNLESS its really an improvement to update.
m
l
April 24, 2010 2:41:56 PM

jeyd02 said:
that is why i leave the bios how it is, before making some changes, UNLESS its really an improvement to update.

yah, my friend did the update for me, cuz he was the one who had the windows installation disk..... (he's an expert in computer, even he dont know why this is happening)
m
l
!