DVI not working

GenericHbomb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I just got an Acer x223w monitor that is DVI capable unlike my last monitor. I know this is a problem for many people because I have looked extensively but I have yet to find a solution. The VGA works perfect but for some reason when ever I try to use the DVI the screen goes blank and usually says cable not connected. Sometimes when I use the DVI then it makes it to the OS starting up before the screen goes blank.
Here are my specs:
Monitor:Acer X223W
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad(Q6600)
Video: MSI ATI Radeon 4850 PCI-E2 (driver: 8.561.0.0)
PSU: Antec 850 Watt
Motherboard: Foxconn P45A-S
Ram: 3GB DDR2

On the back of my video card are only DVI ports so the card must be DVI capable. When I use the DVI to VGA converter everything works but when I use DVI to DVI is when I have problems. I tested the monitor with the DVI cable on another computer and everything works fine. If I try to switch the monitor from analog to digital manually then everything goes blank and it automatically goes back to VGA.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Make sure the DVI cable is connected to the DVI port on the video card that is closest to the motherboard. When your looking at the back of the computer that would be the DVI connector on the Left side.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Make sure your video card can output DVI-D as your monitor only supports DVI-D (digital). Most video cards output DVI-I (integrated, analog and digital). When you use the DVI to VGA adapter it is using DVI-A (analog) and connecting it to the VGA ports. You can tell if it does DVI-D (digital) by looking at the connector on the video card. Look here for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface It could also be that your cable isn't pinned out for DVI-D and you need the right cable.

GenericHbomb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I think definitely on to something. I checked the back of the video card and the port matches the DVI-I single link picture on wikipedia. The cable however is DVI-D as is the port on the monitor.
Now that that is figured out, I am not sure what a solution to this problem would be?

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The DVI-I does both analog and digital and should be compatible with the DVI-D cable and monitor. The only catch would be if the video card is only outputting DVI-A even thought the pinout is for both. Which MSI card is it? Did it comve with a HDMI adapter?

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
All of the MSI 4850 cards listed on Newegg come with a HDMI adapter, which means they do DVI-D. I wonder if it is a driver issue that could be fixed with a newer beta driver or perhaps your resolution is supported in analog mode on that monitor and not digital. That is just a guess.

GenericHbomb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
As it seems to often be the case with electronics we will never know. I unplugged the dvi completely from both ports and as I was plugging it back in to the computer the vga came out and the DVI worked

GenericHbomb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
Yea I don't doubt you are right at all. I got lucky. Thank you for your help!! I have the DVI to HDMI converter so if I wanted to hook up HDMI to the monitor I would need an HDMI cable but do I need a second converter for the monitor?

TRENDING THREADS