Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OC'ing i5-750

Last response: in Overclocking
April 13, 2010 8:25:34 PM

Hey everyone. I plan on building a system this summer with a core i5-750, but I have run into a bit of an overclocking confusion.

Here on Tom's, an article was posted that goes over the best overclocking/efficiency for the i5-750. The link is posted below.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-750-efficie...

The problem is that the article shows that the most efficient overclock was found when the base clock was increased to 160 MHz. However, with the turbo boost on, this pushed two-core turbo boost up to 3.8 GHz, which is said to be unstable at the stock voltages.

I'm just wondering if this was a typo, and that the setup WAS actually stable without increasing the voltages. This is the overclock that I would like to get to when I do build my system.

Thanks for any information you guys may have.

More about : ing 750

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 9:56:55 PM

touchdowntexas13 said:
The problem is that the article shows that the most efficient overclock was found when the base clock was increased to 160 MHz. However, with the turbo boost on, this pushed two-core turbo boost up to 3.8 GHz, which is said to be unstable at the stock voltages.

It means 3.8GHz on ALL 4 cores is unstable with stock voltage.

BTW, only use review as reference as any two chips are different!
April 13, 2010 10:34:34 PM

But it says 3.8 GHz was for the "max turbo boost speed with 1 or 2 cores active", not 4 cores. The asterisk shows that for one or two cores at 3.8 GHz, the processor would need an increase in voltage. And yet they say 160 MHz is the most efficient base clock speed without having to up the voltage at all.

I'm confused. Am I missing something here? I realize no two chips will overclock exactly the same, but I figured I could get the results they got or at least pretty close. That's why I'm trying to figure this out.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 10:47:54 PM

I would say forget about it and OC the i5-750 to 3.6GHz with the following settings and turn Turbo mode OFF.

Quote:
3.6GHz: (24hrs Small FFTs test, 30hrs-2mins Large FFTs test and 14hrs-12mins Memtest86+ stable!)
Load-Line Calibration: Enabled (or Level2 for Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5)
Vcore= 1.21875V in BIOS (In my case, it shows 1.20V in CPU-Z during idle state)
QPI/Vtt/IMC= 1.14V
PCH= 1.10V
PLL= 1.80V
RAM= Specified voltage for your RAM

For more details, have a read at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/256144-29-1156-core-o...

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 10:50:43 PM

i5-750@3.6GHz w/o Turbo mode will perform much better in most cases, consuming merely 11W more.

April 13, 2010 11:11:24 PM

Ah thanks for the thread. There's a lot of good information in there.

I had wanted to stick with the turbo boost solely for the sake of keeping the processor as efficient as possible, as in avoiding those extra 11W that you mentioned. But if it ends up not being stable, I will follow your advice and disable the turbo boost.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 13, 2010 11:19:07 PM

FYI, I don't think that you can get it stable at 3.2GHz with Turbo Mode at stock Vcore and never seen someone being able to do so. :) 

However, you might be lucky. Who knows?! Give it a try and good luck.
April 14, 2010 8:58:23 PM

Best answer selected by touchdowntexas13.
!