HP Laptop Cannot Read Win XP Disc

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hello everyone, I have an older HP laptop and recently decided to reformat it and now I'm having issues. The hard drive is clean and has no OS on it, and the HP recovery partition has been erased as well. Now, when I try to install Win XP and it keeps telling me that it does not detect a previous version of windows and that it is unable to open the CD in the drive. Now, I have tried Win XP, Vista, and 7. The laptop will not read any of these CDs. Do I have to reinstall the drivers for the laptop by booting with a jump drive? I don't know what to do on this one. Thanks for any information on the matter.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I know the XP CD is not a dud since I have used it before. However, I may have a dud drive. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an external drive at this time. I believe the laptop does allow me to boot from the USB port. If it does, should I reinstall the drivers for the optical drive? Thanks for any information.

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
So does that mean the clean installation won't work, and the jump drive with the optical drives drivers won't work either, therefore, my only options is access to an external drive? Thanks on any information.

You could experiment by downloading rc.iso and burinng it to a USB flash drive. If that boots the system then the culprit is definitely the optical drive. You could also use the Recovery Console to run Checkdisk - syntax is chkdsk /r - to check the hard disk for errors.

I'm fairly confident this download link is safe. http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?/topic/150212-boot-to-recovery-console-wo-xp-cd/