Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte board help

Last response: in Memory
April 5, 2009 10:47:58 PM

my buddy, who is usually great at helping me fix most of the problems on my computer noticed that my memory sticks were in slots 3 and 4 (which was correct for this particular board btw) and before i realized what he did, he switched to 1 and 3. now when i boot up on the first screen it says im running in single channel instead of dual and it is only using one stick of memory (1gb). can anyone help me out? both memory sticks are matching and 800hmz. i can post my dxdiag if it will help but i dont know if it will show anything that matters. thanks in advance! :bounce: 

More about : gigabyte board

a b } Memory
April 5, 2009 11:00:23 PM

sounds odd but for the sake of simplicity just switch em back and move on
April 5, 2009 11:02:50 PM

i did and nothing, tried all the configurations i could think of. the color coding of the slots are 1 and 2 are yellow and 3 and 4 are red.
Related resources
a b } Memory
April 5, 2009 11:16:03 PM

hmm should have known that would be to easy. Go into bios and set all ram settings to default if your not sure what to do there should be something that says restore bios to safe settings that will serve the same purpose. Then test each slot with one stick and see what happens the repeat each slot with the other stick. At that point you should have found the problem be it the slots or the sticks. Do all slots both times in case there is more than one problem.
April 5, 2009 11:49:18 PM

alright so i did the following: went into the bios menu and set the failsafe defaults then proceeded to test the two sticks individually:
A1: did not boot
A2: did not boot
A3: booted up
A4: booted up
B1: nope
B2: nada
B3: nothing
B4: niet

so I'm guessing stick b is busted then?
April 6, 2009 2:54:19 AM

thanks for the troubleshooting.
a b } Memory