New build: File Manager does not find 2nd HD (Win 7)

fuseblaster

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
This is a new built computer. In system utilities and control panel I can find the HD and it says it works but I cannot find it in Filemanager. I havemade updates on Microsoft and ASUS. Any idea on how to solve it?

Case: Corsair obsidian 800D
Motherboard P6X58D-E
1st HD: Kingston SSD 128 GB (connected to 6 Gb SATA)
2:nd HD: Samsung spinpoint F3 1 TB SATA/300 7200 RPM 32 MB (connected to ordinary SATA)
Blureay: Liteon IHOS104 4x SATA (connected to 6 GB SATA)

Many thanks in advance!

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Did you add the HD itself? Did it never work, or work then stop?

Did you partition & format it? Right click on "my computer" - manage - disk management. If it shows there, you can partition & format it.

fuseblaster

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
It has never shown up in File Manager or disk manager so it is not possible to initialize it (partition and format). All units are brand new. When checking the properties of all hardware in "unit manager" I can find it and it says Place 0 (channel 1, Target 0, Lun 0).

Could the problem be related to "Hot swap" placement of the harddrive in the Corsair case and the BIOS of the motherboard? It says in the user guide of the motherboard that the controller of the 6GB SATA connectors are set to IDE by default and that "when using hot plug and NCQ, set the Marvell 9128 Controller item in BIOS to [AHCI Mode]."

What talks against this is that the HD is connected to the slower SATA (not the 6 GB). The SSD and the blue Ray are connected to the 6 Gb SATA and they both work. That I can see the HD in the unit manager also speaks against (I think).