512MB 4870 vs 1GB

We were going around a few weeks ago about whether 1GB would really make any difference in performance. Some review came out that pretty clearly stated that there was little difference.

Now however, we have this Far Cry 2 comparison from Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3463
It's an interesting read.

Their charts show some major improvements in this one game at least. Some rather large differences in FPS.
In some tests, the difference between the 1GB and 512MB 4870 is very similar to the difference between the 512MB 4870 and the 512MB 4850.

I have flip-flopped a few times now on this. Wish I had already flipped 3 weeks ago when I bought my 512MB 4870 :p

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Glad my recommendations can finally be validated due to this side by side comparison :p

I have been pushing the 1gb version of the 4870 for a while now and have always had backlash from many other posters saying the added ram is useless.

Why yes, it does. :lol:

Well, only a little. I'm just mad I ever doubted my original instinct. After 15 years I should know that more RAM is ALWAYS better.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008

oooo, i like the Vapor-X design :)

not to mention the prices... hehe

I overclocked mine to the max (820, 1200) and had the fan around 50%...

I think it might have hit 60C in Crysis.

However, I don't really like a hair dryer in my PC. I've since set it back to 780/1000 and put the fan at 30%. Temps are fine and it's quieter than my 120mm case fans.

G

Well I don't really care

I should have gotten the 1 GB version since I play at 1920 by 1200... but I haven't had ANY performance issues with the 512 mb version... plus... my volt mod stuff will be coming soon :D gonna try getting this 4870 close to 1 ghz core clock :na:

Well you know that isn't always the case. Remember the 7300gt's or ones like them. They were selling the DDR3 versions with 256mb of RAM and the DDR2 versions with 512mb RAM. I remember distinctly that the DDR2's sucked a$$ compared the lower RAM'd DDR3 versions. I know this isn't the same situation that your talking about, it was just an example that I wanted to point out. Moral of the story is that MORE RAM doesn't "Always" equate to better gaming experience.