9800gx2 multiple beeps

rza84

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
just bought a new 9800gx2 through pny fresh out of the box plug in all the power one 6pin and one 8pin PCIE and then the power to my new corsair hx 1000w and it beeps 6 or 7 times then the mobo goes through its self test and nothing no display or anything someone plz help it is about to make friends with the wall!!!

Hmmm. This is probably not a good one. Might double check and make sure the 6pin and 8pin connectors are snugly in place. Also, since your PSU is modular, make sure the 6pin and 8 pin connectors are also snugly in place on the PSU itself.

Is this the only video card installed in the system? You don't have an older card in another slot for PhysX or something do ya?

I'm guessing you could possibly have a dud. Might have to ship it back.

rza84

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
well i couldnt get ahold of pny tech support so i called every other mnf. i could think of turns out they all just said what u just said... flashed the bios and up it goes. yay right?

rza84

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
so i flashed the bios and now i get a weird post after the bios look like an error dump screen not blue black like a self test i dont know what it says is this bad?

btc2008

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008

Jerreece didn't say to flash the BIOS. The fact now that it's not progressing can't be great news, but it's not overall bad.

First, do all of this with your old GPU.

Since it did POST, enter your BIOS and reset it to default (factory) values.

If that doesn't work try to reset the CMOS manually via a jump switch or by using a screwdriver on the CL_CMOS switch on the motherboard. Not sure what yours is called (next time, please provide the motherboard and your specs), but I have an AMD board. When you reenter the BIOS after resetting the CMOS, makes sure to reload optimized or factory defaults.

Once everything works out, then try to swap out your old GPU for the new GX2, and if it displays nothing, then I'd agree with Jerreece that you may have gotten a dud, and RMA-it.

Make sure you have your PCI-E enabled, too, when you're in the BIOS.

pbrain

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
i had a similar problem with 8800gtx's in sli, sometimes if i changed the bios and reset the pc, it wouldn't boot and kept beeping. i used to have to remove the second card to let it boot up. shutdown the pc, re-insert the card and they would then work. this happened about 3 times...very frustrating. it wasn't a psu problem as i've got a 1000w enermax. another trick maybe removing one of your memory modules and placing just 1 in the nearest slot to cpu...this has helped with non-booting before...worth a try.