Patent Troll Claiming Patent Rights to Fan Heat Pipes!?!

alika

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I saw an interesting post over at HardOCP that I think the entire computer industry and us shoppers needs to take notice and fight:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/04/09/us_based_companies_sued_for_heat_pipe_cpu_coolers

Since they are suing several small retailers / distributors at this point, this lawsuit can potentially affect EVERYBODY in the computer industry - Dell, Intel, Newegg, everybody! So I guess whoever is manufacturing, using, or selling fans with heatpipes is infringing on this company's patent?

People think that they want to use this lawsuit as a basis to go after larger companies.People seem to think that they are suing the little guys so that they can use their case as a prior in going after the big guys later.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I've been waiting for this to appear in the news here. These patent suits are getting more and more ridiculous.
AND THE PRIZE FOR THE MOST RIDICULOUS PATENT LAWSUIT OF THE DECADE GOES TO... !

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Hahah, FrozenCPU's lawyer could call me in as an expert witness. The coolers FrozenCPU uses don't have liquid-to-liquid heat exchagers, the heat exchanger of the heat pipes "we" use are liquid-to-air. The patented design requires three steps rather than two, with a liquid cooler attached where we normally see the air cooling fins.

Oh, I'm an expert witness because I reviewed "prior work" that goes back before this application for pattent.

+ 3.1415. Win!

+1.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it. At the worst if they win, the companies will have to pay a fine and royalties, and they'll still sell coolers, probably will add $1.00 onto the cost of each cooler. I highly doubt anything would happen worse then that.

I don't think the company is gonna win anyways.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Gotta love the patent trolls. Patent an Idea (usually pretty obscure or broad ranging), then wait till someone actually makes something useful using said (previously unknown/obscure) idea and sue (*cough* Micron *cough*). The patent process is so broken. I personally think patents should not be given unless said companies/trolls have a WORKING PROTOTYPE. Then when someone uses their idea/patent they can show how their patent was stolen.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You think Micron is sue-happy? How many times have THEY been sued by RAMBUS?