Overclocking Intel E8500 Core 2 Duo 3.16 Ghz Help!

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hey there all,

Ive got this cpu and was wondering if anyone has overclocked it and by how far.... i don't have additional cooling and i'm worried if anything would go wrong...

what would a reasonable overclock amount be? preferably in Ghz...

and one more silly question...how? i've got vista 64 bit ultimate... but don't know how exactly to overclock.... don't want to blow away my cpu with my limited experience in this genrè!

all help will be appreciated!!

thank you
Dane (South Africa)

Solution
It is possible to overclock without an aftermarket HSF however your CPU temperatures will get to bas levels with not much of an overclock. As long as you watch your temperature when overclocking which you should always do it is fine.

While your new cooler is on the way you could try out some small overclocking without changing the voltage just to get a hang of it.

Just up the FSB a little and then stress the CPU and check the temperatures. With small overclocks stability shouldn't be a problem even without an overvolt. Just have a bit of a read on stability testing to get an idea.

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
If the computer is an OEM built computer such as Dell you are not able to overclock it.

These CPUs are very nice overclockers and with adequate cooling can reach well over 4GHz. You should buy an aftermarket heat sink if you do not have one, otherwise your overclock will be very limited.

Read guides on how to overclock, just search for them, there are a lot good guides available for all sockets.

Hope that helped.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
yes thanks, so it is possible, and no i don't have an OEM system, built it from scratch....

before you replied i found a great website explaining with visual detail on how to overclock in the bios... but my motherboard (being an Asrock penryn 1600-110-SLI), it has an overclock tuner... do you think it would be safer overclocking in the bios or with this program?

thank you for your reply.... means a lot!!

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
then overclocking in the bios it will be...! i'll take your experienced word for it! thank you!

i am however buying an additional cpu cooling system, that will be done before any overclocking will be done.... many people overclocked with no additional cooling, and threw their money down the drain!

a mistake i will not make...

thank you again "punkinator".... you stopped me from making a huge mistake...!!!

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
It is possible to overclock without an aftermarket HSF however your CPU temperatures will get to bas levels with not much of an overclock. As long as you watch your temperature when overclocking which you should always do it is fine.

While your new cooler is on the way you could try out some small overclocking without changing the voltage just to get a hang of it.

Just up the FSB a little and then stress the CPU and check the temperatures. With small overclocks stability shouldn't be a problem even without an overvolt. Just have a bit of a read on stability testing to get an idea.

Solution

Wolygon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
Ok glad your happy. Make sure you know how to reset your CMOS for when your really going for some serious OCing since if the voltage isn't high enough then the computer will BSOD on starup, you will need to get used to doing this as you will be doing it alot.

Good Luck.

[EDIT] Thanks for best answer.