Getting most out of quad core

thegunners

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
wassup people,i recently bought a intel quad core proccesor q9300 and was wondering if any could give me any advise on how to get most out out of my cpu as when playing games like crysis(oyeah!!)it only uses 33% of its proccesing power, so could anyone plz help me out here .plz reply as soon as possible thanx in advance

system specs

4gb ddr3 1333mhz
4870 ati
p5qc motherboard
2 seagate hartddrives 7200rpm
950watt power
nzxt tempest case

MKeenum

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Umm... Helloworld_98, the last time I checked, all he wanted to do was use more processing power, so opening 4 Cysis' would do that. He said nothing about using 100% processing power, and nothing about 1/3 or even a quarter. But that was last time I checked. But you are right 1/3 is not a quarter. LOL

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Just to set the record straight:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2quad-q9300_2.html#sect0

The q9300 is not a quad core processor. It is a Multi-Chip module comprise of two dual-core processors
placed side-by-side.

In order for a quad core claim to be justified, all four cores must be on a single die.

KER PLONK!

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Enigma067... Any way to tell which Quadcores are side-by-side? Or all they all? And does this mean that when (very vague and obnoxious "when") games and programs start to intigrate the use of all 4 cores simulataneously these processors will be left out?

I was seriously looking at the q6600 vs the e8400 to future proof myself down the road and didn't want to miss out on the extra performance by quad integration...

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
Found a forum of programs that currently use all 4 cores which sparked my initial question...
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/243332-28-programs-cores-quad-core-chip

So back to Enigma's claim...

"The q9300 is not a quad core processor. It is a Multi-Chip module comprise of two dual-core processors
placed side-by-side.

In order for a quad core claim to be justified, all four cores must be on a single die. "

I don't get it... Are there any quad cores?

Enigma is full of garbage - he's an AMD fanboy. Intel quads are real quads. It is true that they have a pair of dual core dies on a single chip, but it doesn't matter for performance. If you're curious though, all Core 2 Quads are the multi chip modules, while all i7 and Phenom quads (including the Phenom II) are native quads. Performance is what matters though, and the core 2 quads have plenty of performance.

Enigma's statement is based on marketing bullsh*t. 4 processors are 4 processors are 4 processors. It makes no difference.

I recommend disregarding the entire subject and instead looking at performance listings and the benchmarks relevant to your intended usage. Though in the case of games, you're far far more likely to be limited by graphics than processor power anyhow.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/processors,6.html

So Relax

Buy the best components you can for your budget.

In the case of a Gaming rig, balance your expenditures towards superior graphics.

leo2kp

Distinguished
And for AMD fanboys to scoff at Intel for making the C2Q the way they do is like a poor man with Geiko laughing at Bill Gates for spending too much on his car insurance. He's still richer than you are and C2Q is still faster.

thegunners

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

thanx for the advise, so does this mean that there are only few programs that use quad core

thegunners

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009

scotteq i do have a superior graphics A 4870 :D