Sign in with
Your question

I7 930, multiplier set to 12?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2010 3:22:51 PM

Is this normal? I had a "professional" build my computer for me, but fine it weird that the i7 is running so slow? Is it safe to set the i7 930 to x22 multiplier? If it's safe, how do I do that?

The board is a P6X58D

More about : 930 multiplier set

a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 3:49:21 PM

Are you sure it's locked at that multiplier? Or is the sytem not under load, and therefore would be downclocking itself to save power? The easy way to test is to use a program like CPU-Z. Run it with the system unloaded. Then start a large program. Does the information in CPU-Z change from 16 to 22? If so, then your system is behaving properly.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 4:07:51 PM

I believe the max multiplier is 21 for the 930. If you go into bios and go to CPU configuration you should be able to lock the multi at 21 and if it really bothers you you can turn off speed step.
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 2:35:29 AM

Scotteq said:
Are you sure it's locked at that multiplier? Or is the sytem not under load, and therefore would be downclocking itself to save power? The easy way to test is to use a program like CPU-Z. Run it with the system unloaded. Then start a large program. Does the information in CPU-Z change from 16 to 22? If so, then your system is behaving properly.

Whoops guess you were right, got this result when running Cinebench.

m
l
April 15, 2010 2:41:17 AM

Also I'm running 6GB of Mushkin Ridgeback DDR3.

It's PC312800 (1600) with 6-8-6-24 timings.

I've seen people run these at 1600-1800mhz @ 6-8-6-24, but for some reason this is what I'm seeing. Did my installer simply not go the extra mile to achieve 1600+ mhz at the advertised timings?

How do I go about correcting this?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 1:44:29 PM

KK - What's happened is typical: The Bios has clocked your memory to the "standard" speeds, rather than the extended { "XMP" } profile. You may manually set it to the rated specs as follows:

bclk: 133 (standard)
memory divider: 12 (133 x 12 = 1596 - so an insignificant underclock)
Uncore: 24 (must be 2x the memory divider)
Leave the QPI link alone (18).

If you are overclocking your processor, please post back and let us know what the bclk is set to.
m
l
April 15, 2010 9:44:25 PM

I got my memory to run at about 1420 MHz at 6-8-6-24. But if I set the BcLK above 140ish (don't remember and I'm at work) the system freezes.

I think I should start all over with the bios settings.

I should probably disable speedstep and hyper threading right?

I'm looking to get about 3.4ghz without hyper threading or speed step. I understand I set the bclk to 162 and with the 21 multiplier of the 930 that gets me 3.4ghz.
But after that I'm lost...

Is there certain a certain bclk I should aim for to get the RAM to run at it's advertised speed and timings?

m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2010 2:14:17 PM

OK - When you change the base clock to increase your processor speed, what also happens is you are raising everything else in the sytem along with it. Think about that a second: When you bump your processor, your memory goes along for the ride. Now, you may be able to get a 30 or 40% Overclock out of your Proccy, but only a few % out of RAM. Because of this little rule, the first thing I look at in an unstable system is memory.

So as you're tuning your system, you want to UNDERclock your memory in order to leave headroom for your Processor. Then later on, you can go back and ramp the memory speed up once you have achieved a stable processor overclock. Keep in mind that memory speeds have only a small impact on actual application performance, so I would recommend not being fussed if you end up a bit off of what it says on the package. A good way to look at it (if not the best) is that faster RAM affords the ability to support more combinations of Base Clock and the various other multipliers than the standard stuff. This pays off in the form of a stable system using settings you may not have the option to use with the "normal" DDR3~1066. And that's worth the price premium.

Also - If/when you have Turbo mode enabled, your CPU multi will be 22 as long as you have good cooling. Though some may choose to disable it and just run with 21.

So - Some numbers for an i7 930, 3 and a half~ish Ghz overclock?

Try: 160 bclk, memory divider of 10 (nets DDR3 1600), uncore multi of 20 (3200), and leave the QPI at 18. That should net you 3.52Ghz with a 22 CPU Multi, or 3.36 with a 21.

Or

166.67 Bclk, memory divider of 8 (nets DDR3 1333), Uncore of 16 (2666), and again leave the QPI at 18. That nets 3.66 Ghz with a 22 multi (21 multi = 3.5Ghz) at the processor. This one has the advantage of less stress on the memory and uncore. Though you won't be running your RAM at it's rated speed, you gain a couple hundred Mhz at the processor.

You could try 166.67 bclk, Divider of 10 (nets DDR3 1666), uncore of 20 (3333), and QPI of 18. That'd be the same 3.5 overclock at the processor, but a lot more stress on the memory (overclocked now from it's already 'overclocked from standard' speeds). Though from your experience, it may prove your RAM doesn't like running any faster than it's rated speed.

As always: Pay attention to your voltages: 1.67volts for memory is the recommended max, and the number used by most performance RAM.

Basically, the BCLK is the stick in the ground that the rest of an i7 system revolves around. Processor speed is (BCLK x Cpu multi). Memory speed is (BCLK x Memory Divider). And the Uncore is (BCLK x Uncore Multi); with the rule that the uncore multi has to be at least 2x the memory multi.

Tip: As you're playing with the numbers, remember it's not a cardinal sin to slighly lower the CPU multi in order to make the math work out better for other areas of your system.
m
l
April 17, 2010 4:03:04 AM

Did a bit more n00bish tweaking.

Those temps seem about right for a i7 930 under load (x21) ?

m
l
April 17, 2010 4:04:27 AM

And got my ram @ 1620Mhz @ 6-8-6-24 timings.

All with BCLK of 162
m
l
May 22, 2011 1:52:52 AM

Rylen said:
Is this normal? I had a "professional" build my computer for me, but fine it weird that the i7 is running so slow? Is it safe to set the i7 930 to x22 multiplier? If it's safe, how do I do that?

The board is a P6X58D

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3350/cpuzx12.png

Just wanted to add this to the thread as it is sometimes overlooked as the cause of a system throttling itself down. Check the temp of your system and if you find that it is too hot then in cases where you have a water cooled system radiator then check it out and make sure that over time the fins have not got clogged up with dust. Best way to do this is to detach it from the case and just pass a hover over both sides to throughly cleanout the fins. If it was clogged up you could gain around 20C in temp cooling headroom.
m
l
!