Sign in with
Your question

No video coming from either video card

Last response: in Motherboards
April 6, 2009 8:11:38 AM

Hi,

I was playing L4D tonight on my custom PC and all of a sudden my game froze, then the screen went black to a blinking cursor, i could still here some audio for a couple of seconds but then my computer froze entirely.

I then turned it off, then tried turning it back on, but all i got was a blink of light and then it was off. I figured this ment there was a short in the case somewhere. It happened a month ago when a fan wire came loose and was siting on the case.

So i took my mess of wires out of the case, and sure enough it would turn on. HDD sounds like it turns on, however no video goes to my monitor. I get a "FF" from mother board which is normal. I put a really old video card in to try that, but it didn't work either. The fan never turns on either on my graphics card.

what should i try?

Heres my setup

EVGA 775 nVidia nforce 780i
730W Raidmax HYBRID
3.0 GHZ Core 2 duo wolfdale
4 gb DDR2 corsair
Asus Geforce 260 GTX

a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2009 8:35:49 AM

Diagnosis that RaidCrap PSU quite possibly killed your board. Never settle for a bad PSU when building a PC. Antec, PC P&C, OCZ, Corsair, Thermaltake, Zalman, and Seasonic (not if in a 220v area) are ones to look for. Try with a different PSU, and cross your fingers hoping that it works.
April 6, 2009 10:04:45 AM

twisterman said:
Hi,

I was playing L4D tonight on my custom PC and all of a sudden my game froze, then the screen went black to a blinking cursor, i could still here some audio for a couple of seconds but then my computer froze entirely.

I then turned it off, then tried turning it back on, but all i got was a blink of light and then it was off. I figured this ment there was a short in the case somewhere. It happened a month ago when a fan wire came loose and was siting on the case.

So i took my mess of wires out of the case, and sure enough it would turn on. HDD sounds like it turns on, however no video goes to my monitor. I get a "FF" from mother board which is normal. I put a really old video card in to try that, but it didn't work either. The fan never turns on either on my graphics card.

what should i try?

Heres my setup

EVGA 775 nVidia nforce 780i
730W Raidmax HYBRID
3.0 GHZ Core 2 duo wolfdale
4 gb DDR2 corsair
Asus Geforce 260 GTX

I reset the CMOS and that magically fixed it... I have no idea why that fixed it. Any ideas what happened?
April 6, 2009 1:39:27 PM

the bios information got mixed up and needed to be reset
!