Sign in with
Your question

CPU oc gives graphic card error signal

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2010 7:20:08 PM

Hello.
First - sorry for my english ;) 

I have a wierd situation:

On my p5b deluxe I try to oc CPU q6600 rev. G0. It goes ok up to 3 GHz but after 3 i have graphic card error (1 long 3 short signals). Graphic is shapphire HD4890, I use 2x2gb ddr2 A-Data vitesta extreme edition 800MHz, power suply is 550 W Taxan super flower (it holds hd4890 and 4850 in cf so I think it's ok). No other pci devices. Configuration I try is 350 fsb x 9 and its ok. Every try with 400 x 8 gives error. Sometimes i hear error signal, but after it windows start normally. I think hd4890 is cooled well (acc s1 rev2 + 2x120mm fans) and on cpu is ninja scythe rev. 2
On this motherboard i used before e5200 with this configuration and it goes ok at 3,7 Ghz as standard without this problem.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2010 11:17:34 PM

farfocel said:
Hello.
First - sorry for my english ;) 

I have a wierd situation:

On my p5b deluxe I try to oc CPU q6600 rev. G0. It goes ok up to 3 GHz but after 3 i have graphic card error (1 long 3 short signals). Graphic is shapphire HD4890, I use 2x2gb ddr2 A-Data vitesta extreme edition 800MHz, power suply is 550 W Taxan super flower (it holds hd4890 and 4850 in cf so I think it's ok). No other pci devices. Configuration I try is 350 fsb x 9 and its ok. Every try with 400 x 8 gives error. Sometimes i hear error signal, but after it windows start normally. I think hd4890 is cooled well (acc s1 rev2 + 2x120mm fans) and on cpu is ninja scythe rev. 2
On this motherboard i used before e5200 with this configuration and it goes ok at 3,7 Ghz as standard without this problem.

Dual core CPUs will overclock easier than a quad. That being said if you have a lot of trouble getting a stable OC with your quad it will corrupt the video drivers as noted during a BSOD.

Try reading this link and see if it helps you.:) 
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 15, 2010 4:54:29 AM

Besides the generic guide that arthur linked to, here's a motherboard specific guide:
http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=41

Some warnings:
Leave the PCI frequencies alone. Do not increase them. You could damage your video card.

Do not increase your memory voltage past 2.3 volts. That also isn't particularly safe for the memory.

Pay close attention to the memory section. Your best bet is to run the FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
l
Related resources
April 15, 2010 9:46:11 AM

Thx for the links, but I know this guides ;) 

Ram works on 2,0 V (is safe by manufacturer) and under < / = 800 MHz after oc.
Pci freq = 100 by manual.

I dig some more in bios "beep" signals and i find this:

"1 Long, 3 Short Beeps You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips."

So, seems it is not VGA mem but mb mem... It's specification is 4/4/4/12 by manual. Do You think change timings on auto or by manual could resolve roblem ? Before (with e5200 mem was on auto with 2,1 V) was ok...
m
l
April 15, 2010 6:01:38 PM

What are you running your ram at? you should keep the RAM at spec and see how high you can OC your CPU.

If your saying you see issues when you set your FSB to 400 from 350, then maybe your RAM is linked and getting overclocked. lower the FSB:RAM ratio. Also if you see an issue with higher FSB then you could try upping the NB voltage to get it stable. I don't know how high a p5b deluxe will go. I would stick with the x9 multi and see how high u can get your core clock.
m
l
!