System wont Boot

kingwilly

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I can't even get anything to show up on my screen.

I am doing a new build and here is what is happening:

System built and wired.

When I power up, the Zalman CPU fan spins for a second then off. I moved it to an auxillary system fan connector and it works. All other fans in the case work good.

The fan on the EVGA GTX260 wont spin. EVGA said the card must be bad so I am returning and went and bought a EVGA 9800 GTX+. I installed that and the fan on the card works fine when powering up.

I moved the two memory sticks around to see if that was the cause, checked my connections and still no output to the monitor. I double checked the monitor and it works. I can't even get to the bios, it shows no signal to the screen.

Here is parts list:

Case: Coolmaster stacker 810R
CPU: Intel C2Q Q9400 2.66 775 45N
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P P45 775
CPU Fan Zalman 9500A

GPU: EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GTX260 896M (Fan on card wont spin-RUTURNING IT)

NEW GPU: EVGA 9800 GTX+ 512-P3-N878-AR Fan spins on card
Memory: Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
PSU: Zalman ZM1000-HP

Hard Drives: 2 WD 1TB Each

Any suggestions besides making a boat anchor?

KW

slomo4sho

Distinguished
You did plug both the PCIe power cables in the GTX 260 right? It requires two power plug-ins.

With that said, do you have a speaker hooked up to the motherboard? If so, does it beep? What is the pattern?

Are both the 24 pin and 8pin power connectors connected to the motherboard?

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

Try with 1 stick of memory, if that get you into the BIOS immediately check the voltage setting for your memory. You probably will have to set it manually to the correct voltage. Or, do you have access to a standard 800mhz stick of memory? The memory you have needs 2.2 volts. It is possible that your BIOS is defaulting to a voltage too low for the memory to work.

kingwilly

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I plugged both of the 6-pins into the GTX 260, no go. I called EVGA and they said if the fan isn't running, something is wrong with the card.

I have the speaker plugged in, it has not beeped. It is a weird little tiny speaker that is not connected to the case, but no sounds at all.

The case has a 20 pin with a 4 pin cable combo. You can either plug in the 20 pin alone or both. There is a warning on the 4 pin not to connect to the 4pin 12v connector. I think that means dont hook the 4 pin by itself. I plugged both of them in to make 24 pin. BUT, there is an 8 pin connector near the CPU that I did not touch. I will throw some power to that an see what happens. Good call.

I popped the battery out, no change.

I have an 8:30 meeting and have to fly, I will do this when I get back.

KW

kingwilly

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I am stupid.

Thing fired up just fine. I didn't try the 260 card, just the 9800.

Well, should I keep the GTX260 from Egghead or the 9800 GT+ from the local Micro Center?

Not sure if I can return them. I just recently bought them both, but dont know return policies.

KW

slomo4sho

Distinguished
Problem solved :)

Try installing the GTX 260 and see if it will work. If it works, return the 9800 GT.

Or better yet, return both and get a 1gb 4870 since your motherboard does support crossfire :)

TRENDING THREADS