Ambient Temperature, Major Difference?

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hey,

ok so im an idiot.
i just left my parents place (which is pretty cold, 13C)
and when i got to my place (around 19C)
i changed my thermal paste to artic cooler 5.
i definitely applied it correctly (redid 3 times with the creditcard spread method, dot method, line method...)
and the core temps are still around 42-44 at idle.
they used to be around 38-39 at my parents place.
does ambient temperature make that much of a difference?

incase any of u are second guessing my application method,
first cleaned it off with arctic cleaner 1
then wiped it with arctic cleaner 2 with a lint free cloth
did not touch either heatsink or cpu's surface with hands.
applied the arctic cooler 5 (using 1 of the methods mentioned above)
put the heatsink on top and screwd it down nicely.
and so on...

seeing how the temperature barely changed each time i reapplied it, (1 degree at most) i just stopped trying and decided to post this. thanks!

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
ok thanks!
makes me feel a whole lot better!
and as for the temps, do u think it will go down over the next week as the paste settles in? if so how much?

edit: LOL CRAP so i wasted so much thermal paste... o well. wasnt too expensive

nikclev

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009

Pretty much hit the nail on the head: 6C change in ambient, resulted in 4-5C change in idle temps. Yup, it does make that much difference. I would be willing to bet that your full load temps are about the same difference, or a little less.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
cool i see, thanks for the confirmation. the worst part is i dont know how much the arctic cooler helped. i used the zalman thermal paste that came with my 9800. oh well. i really appreciate your replies.

confirmations are no longer neccessary, but if there are any suggestions or questions, feel free. thanks everyone.

If the thermal compound was applied correctly and the case has excellent ventilation, airflow, and cooling capacity, then temps at load should be somewhere around 20 - 25 degrees Celsius above the ambient room temperature.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
cool, lol. johnny, ur always there to help me out no matter what or where i post, thanks man. thats some seriously useful info.

According to the Artic Silver web site it takes about 200 hours of operation for the compound to cure. That does not mean continuous operation. It also includes periodically turning the computer on and off and operating at different loads.

There are other compounds that do not need to cure.