CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm thinking about building a computer and not sure how to go about this. A local store sells parts and puts them together (for free when putting together a complete system).

I'm torn between going with the Intel Core 2 Duo e7400 (2.8GHZ 3MB) or a similar AMD.

How big a role does cache play in processing?

Also, debating between getting one of the above processors with a NVIDIA 9800GT card, or getting a much better processor without a graphic card.

I mostly do Adobe work (photoshop and illustrator CS3) and CAD work, light renderings.

Am I better off with medium CPU and video card or higher end CPU and no card?

The store is also recommending the ASUS P5QL Pro motherboard. Will this allow me to upgrade processor in a year or so if I chose to go that way?

Thanks,

Julien

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Im thinking you are much better off for graphics work with higher end cpu and low end card or onboard graphics. The 9800gt will really only help if you are playing 3d games. Put the extra money to an E8400 or intel quad in the P5QL and 4gigs of ram

CanadaJ

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm not sure about the quad...I bought Adobe CS3 a while back, which is not 64 bit. I don't intend on buying CS4 or any higher version for YEARS at the price they're asking...

So if I get a quad, am I really taking advantage of it?

I also run AutoCad all the time and 3ds max (older version I bought in 2006...it's actually VIZ but it's the same).

Also, the store has the following options in my price range if I skip the video card:

Q6600 - 2.4GHZ, 8MB
Q9300 - 2.5GHZ, 6MB
E8400 - 3.0GHZ, 6MB
AM2+ Phenom 9950 - 2.6GHZ (Not sure the Cache size)

www.greenlyph.com

If I wanted to play games without the card...like maybe Spores...would it work?

Thanks,

J