How can i verify the speed of my RAM?

aclipse

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I just bought a system yesterday with a 4GB (2x2) DDR3 Kingston hyperX 1600 mhz

but i don't feel that it's running at 1600 mhz
I also happen to be a complete noob who failed at building it first time and had to give it to a shop so I'm not really experienced around BIOS apart from few simple steps

I checked at Cpu-z and it says under SPD tab
Max bandwith : PC3-10700 (667Mhz)

I also checked the BIOS and the numbers are far less than 1600

can anyone provide a step by step instruction on how to verfiy if my RAM is running at 1600 before i give the shop a call

CPU-Z says you have PC3-10700 or DDR3-1333. Kingston may have pulled them off the line, tested them at the higher speed, and marketed them as DDR3-1600. But the SPD chip doesn't lie. It can only report what was programmed into it.

The BIOS will report only what the present settings are. Change the settings and it will report a different speed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You're looking at the WRONG tab under CPU-Z. SPD is just the programmed values, most chips are rated at an overclocked speed and programmed at a slower speed. To know what speed you're actually running your memory at using CPU-Z, try clicking the Memory tab instead. It will give you the clock speed (NOT the data rate), which is HALF the data rate, so double the number and you'll know what you're running.

Unless you MANUALLY configured your RAM in BIOS, you're almost certainly running a slower speed than your memory is rated at.

aclipse

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
This is my results under cpu-z memory tap

Type: DDR3
size : 4096 Mbytes
Channels : dual
NB Frequency 2131.7

DRAM FrequencyL 666.2 MHz
FSB:DRAM 2:10
Cas latency 9 clocks
tRCD 9 clocks
tRP 9 clocks
tRAS 24 clocks
tRFC 74 clocks
CR 1T

I'm using a gigabyte P55A UD3R
How can i check it in BIOS?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
666 MHz is DDR3-1333. So that's the speed you're running at. If you want to run at DDR3-1600, go into BIOS and set the memory according to the memory manufacturer's specifications. I'm not going to give you specific details because I think you should take the time while you're in BIOS to figure out where the settings are.

shazzalol

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
It all depends on how cpu z is programmed. I have it and its actually extremely good when set right. Soetime the effective clock is different to the real clock time. Say if you ran a game on max settings and minimized, then looked at cpu-z you would probably get a different speed

randomkid

Distinguished

Your RAM is running at its rated speed already. 1333Mhz is standard speed in almost all mobo and the 1600Mhz is Overclocked.
Why do you suspect the RAM as the cause of slow down? What is your CPU, Video Card and monitor resolution?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

His RAM isn't running at its rated speed if its rated at DDR3-1600 and it's running at DDRx-1333. I'm not saying it has to run at its rated speed, I'm only pointing out that you're confusing the thread by providing inaccurate information.

TRENDING THREADS