Sign in with
Your question

Updating my GFX card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 27, 2008 6:43:53 AM

Im running an ATI X1950 XTX but lately games are becoming unstable with my setup, ive noticed in forums that certain setups can cause havox with ATI and cause games to crash despite them not struggling performance wise. I have had this problem now with Fallout3 and Farcry 2.

I think im going to swap over to Nvidia now as most of my mates have and havent had a problem since, but can anyone recommend a replacement card for me?

I know with the sales on the cards are dropping in price, i found a Geforce 9800 GT for £99, is that a good card? Its been a while since i took notice of the gfx card race...

Cheers all and Merry crimbo

More about : updating gfx card

December 27, 2008 6:59:19 AM

Free AA the 4830 is worth the extra 10 dollars
December 27, 2008 7:50:59 AM

But thats an ATi aint it? will i still get the same problems later down the line? I know so many people switching to Nvidia at the moment.

My setup is

AMD64 X2 5000
4GB DDR2 Kingston Heatclamp
ATi X1950 XTX with Crossfire
Dual 500GB Sata Maxtor
Dual 500GB ATA Maxtor
22' Viewsonic VA2216Widescreen
LG Lightscribe DVDR/RW/RAM/DL
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2008 8:28:47 AM

My last three gfx cards were nVidia . They all died

Nothing wrong with ATI . Usually they're a bit cheaper for what you get . A 4850 with a 2 slot cooler might be just what you are after . Check the charts tab on this site for gfx performance
December 27, 2008 9:08:47 AM

cyber_jockey said:
Free AA the 4830 is worth the extra 10 dollars

I do agree +1
December 27, 2008 9:13:32 AM

ur using a card from when ati was way behind nvidia and had a bunch of problems. the newer 48xx-series cards are much better, so u should really just get the best card for the price now (whatever ur budget is, whether nvidia or ati).
December 27, 2008 9:18:29 AM

I agree too, ive had plenty of ATi cards and loved them, but the constant crashing of games lately has bugged me, a few of my mates had the same setups and moved onto Nvidia and had no problems afterwards.

Id prefer to stick with ATi but thought it was a general bug. I think ill delve deeper into my pockets and get the 4850 then

thanks for the info and advice!
!