Need sapphire 5850 overclock tips

G

How's it going everyone? I just got my hands on a sapphire 5850 the other day from amazon prime. It's the newer pcb and I've been reading that you cannot (without going to great lengths) overvolt the beastly thing. Using MSI afterburner I've got a stable 825/1185. Max was 850/1250. I'm a little sad that it didn't stay anything close to there lol. Still, I suppose 100 core and 185 memory gain isn't too shabby. Max temp is 56 C on Dragon Age origins 5760 x 1080 very high, 4x, high texture, unlike my 5770 which seems to enjoy warmer climate...

Now I yearn for some experienced knowledge to help me push this bad boy where it deserves to be. Thanks in advance!

G

This is the one I'm talking about. They come with upgraded cooling from what I can tell.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1271350792&a=B003D0IS3K&sr=8-1

but yeah use msi afterburner to bypass ccc's cap. Here's a very helpful guide:

http://www.overclock.net/ati/633816-how-overclock-your-ati-gpu.html

Anyways, I simply cannot find voltage mods for this card. I heard it requires a hard mod because it has a cheaper voltage regulator thingy, but my googling skills are lacking making it quite difficult to find.

This it what I found so far:

pencil mod

http://www.overclock.net/ati/708571-sapphire-blue-pcb-5830-5850-5870-a.html

G

Yeah I suppose I'm happy with these clocks too. I need to get my head out of overclocking for a mere 2-5 fps gain... lol.

I have the same card, the Sapphire 5850. I've only used Catalyst Overdrive with the max 775/1125, but after hearing about this MSI Afterburner I'm going to try it out. Just curious what did you use to check GPU stability? Gaming, or a test program?

I've had temps up to 70C playing Crysis but the fan never went over about 30%, and from what I've read this GPU is capable of going into the 80s even 90s safely.

G

Okay from what I can tell you about this very specific card is that it is the non-reference model. What this means is we got shorted out of a good voltage regulator thingy in exchange for a slightly cheaper price, but in return we got the nice new cooler with it. Just make sure you enable manual fan control and you should be golden! On MSI AB use the "user define" fan setting. To adjust the fan settings under go to the big "settings" tab near the bottom. Go to "fan" and there should be a nice fan speed update graph that you can plot when you want your fans to kick in at (x) temperature. I should even be more specific and just tell you that you can just leave it at 100% if you want.

Okay from what I can tell you about this very specific card is that it is the non-reference model. What this means is we got shorted out of a good voltage regulator thingy in exchange for a slightly cheaper price, but in return we got the nice new cooler with it. Just make sure you enable manual fan control and you should be golden! On MSI AB use the "user define" fan setting. To adjust the fan settings under go to the big "settings" tab near the bottom. Go to "fan" and there should be a nice fan speed update graph that you can plot when you want your fans to kick in at (x) temperature. I should even be more specific and just tell you that you can just leave it at 100% if you want.

Hey thanks I tried it out last night and it works pretty well. I had it up to 875/1200 and only around 76C with the fan at around 40%. Only thing is, according to the readme, since I'm using 64 bit Win 7 I can't use the 2d and 3d profile settings so that means if I OC it, it stays "ON" constantly instead of dropping to minimum speeds (like 130/300). Know of any similar programs that will work on 64 bit? Or maybe someone made an update or workaround for 64 bit?