Using Palm Acrobat reader?

June 14, 2005 4:33:57 PM

A long time ago I installed the version of Palm Acrobat that came with my
PDA, but never really used it. Now I can't seem to get .PDF files to
transfer to my Zire. When I hot sync I get the folowing message:

"ERROR: The following file(s) could not be installed to the SecureDigital
(SD) Card because there is no application on your handheld to open these
files. If you have recently installed such an application, please run that
application and then perform a HotSync operation."

Is there something I need to do to PDF files that I've downloaded from the
net in order to make them compatible with this reader?

BTW, the desktop wouldn't let me drop them in the internal memory section,
only in the SD card. I was aware of this restriction for MP3s, but not for
documents.

And I've got a bunch of plain text files that I'd like to have on my PDA.
They are bigger than the 4K limit of Notepad. How do I convert them into
something that PalmReader or the like can understand? Something that doesn't
take 30K for a 10K file! And can I store them on the SD card instead of in
memory, which I'm starting to running low on?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Homeland Security Administration: The Gestapo of the 21st Century

More about : palm acrobat reader

Anonymous
June 14, 2005 4:51:07 PM

Bob Kaplow wrote:
> A long time ago I installed the version of Palm Acrobat that came with my
> PDA, but never really used it. Now I can't seem to get .PDF files to
> transfer to my Zire. When I hot sync I get the folowing message:
>
> "ERROR: The following file(s) could not be installed to the SecureDigital
> (SD) Card because there is no application on your handheld to open these
> files. If you have recently installed such an application, please run that
> application and then perform a HotSync operation."
>
> Is there something I need to do to PDF files that I've downloaded from the
> net in order to make them compatible with this reader?
>
> BTW, the desktop wouldn't let me drop them in the internal memory section,
> only in the SD card. I was aware of this restriction for MP3s, but not for
> documents.
>
> And I've got a bunch of plain text files that I'd like to have on my PDA.
> They are bigger than the 4K limit of Notepad. How do I convert them into
> something that PalmReader or the like can understand? Something that doesn't
> take 30K for a 10K file! And can I store them on the SD card instead of in
> memory, which I'm starting to running low on?

Hello Bob,

Paul from palmOne here. Didier is correct that there are third-party
apps that can do what you want. But, if you're interested in using
Adobe:
Native pdf files first need to be converted by "Adobe Reader for Palm
OS" for proper reading on the handheld. If you have the standard "Adobe
Reader" on your desktop, chances are a plug-in was added to it during
your original installation of the Palm software. In Adobe Reader, open
a pdf file as you normally would, then go back up to File and you
should see "Send to Palm" as one of the choices in the drop-down box.
Choose it and you'll get a window in which to add files. It will then
convert your file(s), after which you can hotsync it over to the
handheld. BTW, you'll also see a "Preferences" button near the top of
this window. Here you will be able to choose whether you'd like the
file transferred to the handheld or the SD card.

Another way is to find the "Adobe Reader for Palm OS" .exe
file(Windows)in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Reader for Palm OS and
open the same process from there.

There is more information on this, including converting text files, in
the palmOne Knowledge Library article "Reading eBooks, text files,
e-zines, PDF documents or other publications on your device" at
http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=29863

Hope that's of help.

Best

Paul
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Paul Novotny
paul.novotny@palmOne.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Start earning rewards today.
Register for free at
http://paysback.palmone.com/
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 10:38:13 PM

Bob Kaplow <kaplow_r@encompasserve.org.trabod> wrote:
> A long time ago I installed the version of Palm Acrobat that came with my
> PDA, but never really used it. Now I can't seem to get .PDF files to
> transfer to my Zire. When I hot sync I get the folowing message:

I started using Repligo and is works like a charm. Better than the Adobe
program ever did.

> And I've got a bunch of plain text files that I'd like to have on my PDA.
> They are bigger than the 4K limit of Notepad. How do I convert them into
> something that PalmReader or the like can understand? Something that doesn't
> take 30K for a 10K file! And can I store them on the SD card instead of in
> memory, which I'm starting to running low on?

Sounds like you could use Plucker, www.plkr.org. Works great for me.

Didier

--
Didier A Depireux ddepi001@umaryland.edu didier@isr.umd.edu
20 Penn Str - S218E http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm

I actually have a version of Documents to go that lets you open PDF
files natively, and it works wonders if you have enough memory.

If you have an older palm, you might want to use Adobe's palm version
since the converted files are much smaller
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 5:01:45 PM

[seems this didn't make it out yesterday...]

In article <1118778667.286386.167690@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, paul.novotny@palmone.com writes:
> Native pdf files first need to be converted by "Adobe Reader for Palm
> OS" for proper reading on the handheld. If you have the standard "Adobe
> Reader" on your desktop, chances are a plug-in was added to it during

Aparantly not.

> your original installation of the Palm software. In Adobe Reader, open
> a pdf file as you normally would, then go back up to File and you
> should see "Send to Palm" as one of the choices in the drop-down box.

Option not there.

> Choose it and you'll get a window in which to add files. It will then
> convert your file(s), after which you can hotsync it over to the
> handheld. BTW, you'll also see a "Preferences" button near the top of
> this window. Here you will be able to choose whether you'd like the
> file transferred to the handheld or the SD card.
>
> Another way is to find the "Adobe Reader for Palm OS" .exe
> file(Windows)in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Reader for Palm OS and
> open the same process from there.

OK, I found this and ran it. Took the handful of PDF files I wanted on my
PDA, and ran them through. It generated the new files, and instructed me to
hot-sync. I did, but the hot sync didn't transfer anything, either to memory
or my SD card.

The first time I tried, it did install something on my PDA called
AcroPilot...

So I figured out where it put those converted PDFs, and manually dropped
them into the Hot Sync Quick Install. Another hot sync and still nothing,
but I did get the same error as I reported before when it tried to do
something with them.

> There is more information on this, including converting text files, in
> the palmOne Knowledge Library article "Reading eBooks, text files,
> e-zines, PDF documents or other publications on your device" at
> http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=29863

I just printed this out, and will try some of the suggestions there for the
text files.

> Paul Novotny
> paul.novotny@palmOne.com

I appreciate your response. My experiences with trying to get help for my
Zire-71 with Alzheimer's from Palm via phone, email, web, or fax have been
horrible. I've posted several times to this group about what I consider to
be a design defect with this product, and have been totally ignored by Palm.
What good is a PDA that regularly wipes out all of its data?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L TRA # "Impeach the TRA BoD"
>>> To reply, remove the TRABoD! <<<
Kaplow Klips & Baffle: http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.encompasserve.org/~kaplow_r/ www.nira-rocketry.org www.nar.org

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it
with religious conviction. -- Blaise Pascal
!