Motorola Dual-Tuner DVR High-Definition Set-Top DCT6412(Pl..

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 27, 2005 3:33:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
This is the unit i have. Does anyone know if i can use the usb ports to
transfer the movies / shows i recorded from the units hard drive to my
computers hard drive. This would free up space on the unit to record more
shows. I can not find any info on this subject. All i can find is that the
usb ports are slated for future use or compatable devices. What ever the
hell that means.
Thanks
Tim
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 12:02:08 PM

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:33:22 GMT, "Tim Gagnon" <timg64@shaw.ca> wrote:

>http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
>This is the unit i have. Does anyone know if i can use the usb ports to
>transfer the movies / shows i recorded from the units hard drive to my
>computers hard drive. This would free up space on the unit to record more
>shows. I can not find any info on this subject. All i can find is that the
>usb ports are slated for future use or compatable devices. What ever the
>hell that means.
>Thanks
>Tim

Try Here there are a number of threads about this box. There are some
reports of addining an external HD.

http://www.avsforum.com

Fred
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:22:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

Thanks i will
"Fred C. Dobbs" <nus@tenretni.moc> wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 23:33:22 GMT, "Tim Gagnon" <timg64@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
>>This is the unit i have. Does anyone know if i can use the usb ports to
>>transfer the movies / shows i recorded from the units hard drive to my
>>computers hard drive. This would free up space on the unit to record more
>>shows. I can not find any info on this subject. All i can find is that the
>>usb ports are slated for future use or compatable devices. What ever the
>>hell that means.
>>Thanks
>>Tim
>>

> Try Here there are a number of threads about this box. There are some
> reports of addining an external HD.
>
> http://www.avsforum.com
>
> Fred
June 22, 2009 9:41:39 PM

Unfortonitly you can't tranfer your showes to your computer due to Copy Right Laws DVR's are Not Formated to NTSC Formats they have there own format. there fore if you plug in a usb flash drive or external drive to your DVR the DVR will not read the format of the drive. That is the Bad news. The good news is if you are just wanting to expand your hard drive space from the Peuny little hard drive in the DVR You Can buy an external Hard Drive from Westen Didgital that is preformated for DVR's and this will plug right into a usb drive on your DVR giving you allot more recording space for your favorate shows.
January 15, 2010 4:30:36 PM

admeral said:
You Can buy an external Hard Drive from Westen Didgital that is preformated for DVR's and this will plug right into a usb drive on your DVR giving you allot more recording space for your favorate shows.

Hi,

Can you e-mail me or post more info/links on how to add an external hard-drive?

1. Is it just plug-n-play? or do you have to hack the firmware of the DVR (DCT6412) to have it record onto the external hard-drive instead of the internal hard-drive?

2. Does it have to be an WD hard-drive or will any portable USB-powered hard-drive work?

3. Does the hard-drive need to be NTFS or FAT32 format? (i am guessing NTFS given the big size of the hi-def video files).

thanks,

-hormaz

November 28, 2012 4:47:31 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
This is the unit i have. Does anyone know if i can use the usb ports to
transfer the movies / shows i recorded from the units hard drive to my
computers hard drive. This would free up space on the unit to record more
shows. I can not find any info on this subject. All i can find is that the
usb ports are slated for future use or compatable devices. What ever the
hell that means.
Thanks
Tim

If you have a Windows media center and a TV hookup card in your computer just put a splitter on the out line and run some coaxial cable from the DVR to the in line on your computer and record anything you want. You can also buy a DVD recorder unit from walmart and hook the out line of your DVR up and record your movies to disk. I have mine split off to my computer and my DVD recorder. I also split the signal into my TV and switched it so I can watch TV from a direct feed from cable while I record movies to disc off my DVR. This takes a little remote control juggling but once you get that down your in business. Hope this helps you, John :sol:
!