Windows cannot modify the driver letter of your system vol..

Gilbert

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001

I just installed Windows XP on a machine and for some
reason it installed itself in the F: drive instead of the
normal C: drive. I'm trying to change it back to C: but
it won't let me do it. I'm using Computer Management and
this is the error I get: "Windows cannot modify the
driver letter of your system volume or boot volume".

I looked for the boot.ini file thinking I could maybe
change it in there but I couldn't even find that file.
Any ideas? I could just reinstall the whole thing but
don't really want to do that. Nothing is using the C:
drive letter right now.

"Gilbert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I just installed Windows XP on a machine and for some
>reason it installed itself in the F: drive instead of the
>normal C: drive. I'm trying to change it back to C: but
>it won't let me do it. I'm using Computer Management and
>this is the error I get: "Windows cannot modify the
>driver letter of your system volume or boot volume".

You would have to reinstall Windows on C. Since changing the drive
letter would make your installation unuseable, this is not allowed.

--
(tm)