Did my card have artifacts or was it normal and I panicked?

Pershing121

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I think I burnt my chip and caused artifacts. I read that nvidia cards wont produce artifacts and overburn due to throttling or some sort of defense mechanism where it goes to lower temp and produces low fps in benchmarks but I think mine did. I only had the 9800 gt about 100 or so higher points on all three clock settings and when I was finishing the 3dmark06 benchmark the last part with the ice and trucks setting in alaska, it started blinking or flashing and later when I put stalker on the grass was flashing black. I returned it to the store and got a replacement card (same one) and it did the same thing until I turned the full dynamic lightning to static lightning setting down. Now it dissapeared. But I swear I never tinkered those settings so it must have switched by itself in stalker or it used to work under different lightning settings. Before I returned the card I also noticed some funny colors in Second Life, my glove which is usually white had a black dot on the edge of my fingers and it still does this after switching the card. I didnt notice any differences in team fortress 2 or crysis. So did I create artifacts that my computer now recognizes even with a new card (same model and brand)? Or did I overeact when returning it and could really run it at those higher clock speeds overclocked? If so what would have casued the flickering at the end of the 3dmark06 last test?

I had these clock speeds:
695 for core clock (form 600)
1010 for memory clock
(from 900)
16500 for shader clock (from 1500)

and its a pny 9800 gt 1 gig.

According to this site I tested it like he said waiting for white dots or fps to dramatically decrease but didn't do it in small doses but put it like 100 higher for each thing on first go:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/slizone_ask_mmm005.html

"While both ATI and nVidia use a form of 'thermal throttling' in brand of GPU to stop them from being damaged by excessive heat due to overclocking (or other circumstances), nVidia's implementation of this feature tends to be a bit more sensitive than that found on ATI cards.

It's extremely rare to see artifacts or visual imperfections on a current or previous generation nVidia card. This is because the video core will manually slow itself down before a state stressful enough to cause video artifacts is reached. As readers might imagine, this feature makes determining the maximum overclock attainable by an nVidia card more frustrating than it otherwise would be.

When using the Coolbits hack to overclock an nVidia videocard, there is no indication that this throttling has been activated, so the only way to tell if you've pushed the card beyond its temperature limits is by noticing a decrease in benchmarking scores. "

Not all cards overclock well.
Lowering the overclock make those artifacts disappear.
It shouldn't immediately damage the card.
Pay attention to temperatures as well during the overclock.
Black dots on the edges are normal in some games.

Happy New Year!

pbrain

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
there are some screen resolutions & settings that stalker doesn't like, i couldn't get it to run 1920x1200, when i came out of the bunker and tried to enter the first village it would just crash. i ended up using a lower screen res and turning down some effects...not happy!