Sign in with
Your question

PWR_FAN on asus mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2010 6:01:48 PM

Hey guys,
Today I noticed that one of my fans was not working. It's the fan the pushes out air from inside the case, to the outside (i.e the fan on the back of the case). I went into the BIOS and it reported that the CHA_FAN speed and the PWR_FAN speed are both 0.

I tried taking the 4 pin connector from 1 of the working fans and attaching it to the non working fan and nothing happened.

It's probably the fan although I'd like to here an opinion from someone who actually knows more about this stuff then I do. Also, I noticed that when I turn on my PC, the non-working fans moves slightly (maybe for half a second) then stops. Maybe this indicates that it can work up to a certain voltage (when it's powering up) then when it passes that voltage it stops?

Thanks for the help

-Dan

More about : pwr fan asus mobo

April 15, 2010 8:03:10 PM

What do you mean by four pin connector? When you talk about about taking the four pin connector from a working fan and attaching it to the non-working fan it sounds like you're talking about a molex adapter.

Are your fans actually plugged into the motherboard. I only ask this because if the fans are plugged into the power supply using a molex adapter then your motherboard will not read the speed of the fan and that's why it will be listed 0.
April 15, 2010 8:46:34 PM

I could have the term wrong, it's a black plastic casing with 4 prongs.

My fans are plugged into my power supply. But I'm actually looking at the fan and seeing that it is not spinning.

Could it be that that it only turns on at a certain temperature?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 16, 2010 4:37:55 PM

If the suspect fan is connected to the PSU and doing this I'd check your molex pins first. If they seem okay, you got a bad fan. It happens.
April 30, 2010 7:15:52 PM

Conumdrum said:
If the suspect fan is connected to the PSU and doing this I'd check your molex pins first. If they seem okay, you got a bad fan. It happens.

Yeah, if you connect directly to the PSU the fan should just run full speed unless you do some other modifications. If it doesn't, then either it's a connection issue or bad fan. Try that same connection to a different fan and if that works then it's probably the fan.
!