V-core fluctuation during wimdows

bdodge85

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
i am running vista ultimate 64 bit ant when windows loads up my v-core fluctuates so tramaticly it goes down to 1.024 and the back up th 1.346 it does it so often that my system isn't even stable anymore. and i cant averclock any more. when i go to the BIOS my v-core stays at 1.344-1.346 what is the broblem? please help!!!

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
Sounds like its possibly EIST(speed step) which doesn't work from with-in the BIOS. Although I'll admit jumps like that are rather large.

Try disabling EIST and C1E in your BIOS.

Good advice.

Possibly the PSU is getting close to peak load - usually the cause of fluctuations like that.

Your specs don't mention the PSU ??

I'd expect at least a 750W unit running the gear you have in it ... better still an 850W to be sure.

Oh ... RAID0 is striped mode so 2 X 500Gb gives you just shy of 1Tb .... or are they mirrored? (1)

bdodge85

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
well as of now i have a 680 watt but this weekend i am picking up a thurmaltake toughpower 850 watt. i am hoping it is the problem because if not i am at a loss of words. and about my system i have an ASUS MVN78-VM motherboard AMD duel core 5600 1 Gig. mem GForce 8800GTS add 3 hdd 2 of which are in a raid 0. i am using a thermaltake bigwater 754 liquid cooling system. and also have 3 120mm cooling fans.

Mondoman

Splendid
I can't find your MB in a quick search -- could you please post complete specifications for it (or a link to such specs)?
Here are some other possibilities for your instability problems:
1) Memory amount. First of all, you need 2-3GB for your system -- it's cheap now, so buy more to have a total of 2-4GB at least. Do this no matter what the problem is -- it will help your system performance a lot.
2) Memory instability. Download the bootable CD image of memtest86+ and run it for a number of hours to make sure you have no obvious memory errors.
3) Overheating of some component. Many water cooling systems have this issue, because although the CPU & other main component are cooled specifically, the general MB components don't get enough cooling airflow. For example, the north bridge and PWM (power circuitry near the CPU) areas can often overheat and cause system instability. The number of fans inside your case may not help here - it's also a matter of the configuration. Try running the system with the side of the case removed and a big table fan pointing into the case.

bdodge85

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
i don't know why they have bad revieys my CPU is never over 105 F. at full load and overclocked to it's max. it was probabily how they had it set up.