Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Low FPS on Radeon HD 3870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 27, 2008 2:32:13 PM

I have a visiontek radeon hd 3870 and ever since i got crysis it got VERY low fps on it (as in10-15fps high or very high 0xAA 1280x1024 and no more than24fps at everything low) At first i though "wtf its probably drivers or something...(i get around 90-100fps on COD4 and around 60fps on Fallout 3) so i updated to CCC 8.12, and that didnt really change anything...i looked at a lot of reviews and all of them say that it should get at least 20fps on high or very high (on low its supposed to be 50fps average with no AA...) this is one of the benchmarks that ive seen showing what i should be getting... http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/visi.... I dont think its my PSU, its 700 watts, and i get around 11k on 3dmark vantage. My cards oced to 800mhz at stock, i havent tried ocing it any more (i havent tried ocing anything on my system yet)


my specs are:

Phenom 9500
8gb pc6400
Asus M3A
400gb 7200 rpm HD


Heres a pic i took of my gpu specs (according to GPU-Z) http://s414.photobucket.com/albums/pp228/grant64330/?ac...

More about : low fps radeon 3870

December 27, 2008 3:33:04 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Looks about where it should be.

no, it doesnt. when i used to have 1 3870, i was getting around 20-30FPS on all high settings at 1280x1024
but i also have a 3.3GHZ dualcore

have you tried overclocking your phenom?
might help considering that the 9500 is only clocked @ 2.2ghz ;) 
Related resources
December 27, 2008 3:35:28 PM

rambo117 said:
no, it doesnt. when i used to have 1 3870, i was getting around 20-30FPS on all high settings at 1280x1024
but i also have a 3.3GHZ dualcore

have you tried overclocking your phenom?
might help considering that the 9500 is only clocked @ 2.2ghz ;) 




Retard. Comparing apples to oranges again.
December 27, 2008 3:40:00 PM

what the hell are you even talking about?
just trying to give the guy a little help and idiots like you come along and get all offended if their oppinions are challenged.
get off the forums if ur not gonna help
December 27, 2008 3:47:53 PM

Roadrunner, you always have great comments and insight in your posts. But your people skills are going to bite you on the arse if they haven't already.

I think what roadrunner was trying to say is that whatever the strengths of a 2.2 GHz Phenom might be, it unfortunately will bottleneck your 3870 compared to a 3.3 GHz dual core. I agree that you are getting about the framerates that you should be getting. Overclocking your Phenom should result in direct increases though. The rule of thumb I have heard is that you need to have >2.5 GHz to run modern games, with >3.0 being preferred--regardless of Intel/AMD, architecture, etc.

Good luck!
December 27, 2008 3:52:08 PM

My Socket 939 2.0GHz and 3850 could play Medium at 35-40fps @1440x900. Somethings wrong on your end.
December 27, 2008 3:56:28 PM

medium settings and high settings are quite a bit differant though.
medium settings are like souped up Farcry detail pretty much

high settings are goregeous:) 
veryhigh isnt a WHOLE lot differant looking than high
December 27, 2008 4:15:13 PM

I have a hd3870 and just upgraded from a phenom 9500 @ 2.5 to a q6600 @ 3.2. With the phenom, Crysis was unplayable on medium settings at 1920x1200, now Im enjoying everything on high with no lag. Same goes for RA3. My 3dmark06 increased to about 12500 from 9000. I think you are CPU limited and are getting the right fps for your system. If you have a AM2+ motherboard then you should upgrade to a phenom II when they come out to get increased performance. The 3870 is powerful enough to run all games maxed out even at high resolution.
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 27, 2008 4:35:12 PM

I bought a mis-represented 3870 about six month's ago. ( advertised as a 512/1gig card when in reality it was a 256/1gig card ) I tried to play COD4 @ 16x10. It was choppy and unplayable. ( ghili suit ) You're trying to play a game that almost no setup, ( lest high end gear ) can play at all. You're going to have to lower your resolution and in game settings in order to play the game......... and with that card and processor....... forget it anyways. Don't rely on benchmarks because that's all they are...... benchmarks. The real world will tell a different story. You'll need to over clock the heck out of the processor to get enough speed to stop the unplayability ( this is where Intel comes in ) and you'll also need to upgrade the video card or you'll have to play at unreasonable settings and accept what you get.
December 27, 2008 4:40:30 PM

jumpmaster said:
I have a hd3870 and just upgraded from a phenom 9500 @ 2.5 to a q6600 @ 3.2. With the phenom, Crysis was unplayable on medium settings at 1920x1200, now Im enjoying everything on high with no lag. Same goes for RA3. My 3dmark06 increased to about 12500 from 9000. I think you are CPU limited and are getting the right fps for your system. If you have a AM2+ motherboard then you should upgrade to a phenom II when they come out to get increased performance. The 3870 is powerful enough to run all games maxed out even at high resolution.

no lag, bullcrap


i have 2 3870's in crossfire and im getting a good deal of lag at 1920x1080P
i highly doubt just becauase you got a new quadcore, your getting zero lag performance.
December 27, 2008 4:47:16 PM

rambo117 said:
no lag, bullcrap


i have 2 3870's in crossfire and im getting a good deal of lag at 1920x1080P
i highly doubt just becauase you got a new quadcore, your getting zero lag performance.



Seems to me your jealous, cause you dont know what you are doing.
December 27, 2008 4:50:04 PM

not really, im getting a good playable amount of framerate with my rig.

go play with your girly 4670 at that resolution and lets all laugh at your framerate
a c 106 U Graphics card
December 27, 2008 4:52:54 PM

TLB Bug FIX!!!!!!!!! That would be my first guess as to what your problem is. At stock clocks my Radeon 3850 and Athlon 5000 X2 were just fine with crysis on medium settings. I played most of the game on med-high settings, but just set everything to medium for some certain areas of the game.

Anyway you need to go into your BIOS and see if it has the TLB Bug FIX. If it does dissable it. You should only need to enable it if you ever want to turn that thing into a server and absolutly need 100% up time. Hey people do strange things. Also, did you update your drivers or did you just update CCC? Make sure that you have downloaded the complete driver set and that you uninstall the old drivers first.
December 27, 2008 4:56:14 PM

rambo117 said:
not really, im getting a good playable amount of framerate with my rig.

go play with your girly 4670 at that resolution and lets all laugh at your framerate




Sorry, I dont got the 4670 no more. I got the 4850x2, so have fun with your 20 frames:) 

You say you got a good amount of lag, and you call it playable. Sorry buddy, lag does not = playable.

Go ask your mommy if you can have a paper route.
December 27, 2008 5:10:23 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Sorry, I dont got the 4670 no more. I got the 4850x2, so have fun with your 20 frames:) 

You say you got a good amount of lag, and you call it playable. Sorry buddy, lag does not = playable.

Go ask your mommy if you can have a paper route.

tushe... looks like someone finally got a card to compete with the big guys
anyways, i dont need some ghey paper route, i do homes advertising and get a decent sum of money.
20-30FPS on HD res is fine for me. im not gonna put hundreds of dollars into the newest technology out. i wait till its cheaper, then purchase. im sure your gonna feel really stupid with your 4850x2 once it drops down into the 3870x2 price range.

my rig can last for awhile IMO. im upgrading to a phenomII in a few months anywayz
December 27, 2008 5:18:13 PM

No cause when it does I'll sell it to some noob like you and buy the next best thing.
December 27, 2008 5:22:26 PM

ok, sounds good :) 
December 28, 2008 1:30:44 PM

ok, i looked in my bios and the TLB bug fix was already disabled, but i dont think it is the problem because it only decreases performance by about 10% (that would only be a few frames) i ran the benchmark that crysis comes with and even when i lowered it ALL the way down to low, dx9, and 800x600, i still only got a 13fps average :fou:  i honestly dont think its my CPU because crysis is heavy on GPU's, and what probably matters the most is the cache amount (c2Q's cache is a lot bigger than the phenoms) ive update to 8.12 and that hasnt seemed to do anything, so went in my bios (again) to see if there were any options to adjust my GPU. I figured out that the "GPP slots Power limit" option was set at 25w, so i set it to 225 (hte max it will allow) but, i still only get 10-15fps average, no matter if it is very high 1280x1024 or low 800x600....any ideas :sweat: 
a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2008 2:24:35 PM

Im just curious is only crysis acting up or is it all your games?
I have had a similar issues once it was resolved by reinstalling drivers and reinstalling the game give that a shot.
crysis is a very resourceful my gtx260 sli was just barely able to max out crysis @ 1680x1050 with 16aa.

"Can both of you get along" =]
December 28, 2008 2:52:46 PM

invisik said:
Im just curious is only crysis acting up or is it all your games?
I have had a similar issues once it was resolved by reinstalling drivers and reinstalling the game give that a shot.
crysis is a very resourceful my gtx260 sli was just barely able to max out crysis @ 1680x1050 with 16aa.

"Can both of you get along" =]

16AA?!?!?!
holy crap dude. what kind of FPS do get??

a b U Graphics card
December 28, 2008 3:01:24 PM

I would say my avg fps would be about 30-32fps. During big battles it drops to about 25fps just for a few sec but its very playable. It even hits 40+fps sometimes lol.
=]

December 28, 2008 3:15:15 PM

meh ive already tried that, and im on 8.11 (they havent released 8.12 for my card yet :(  ) it might be that i have vista x64,i guess ill try looking for some patches for crysis but i doubt they wild anything...maybe i should OC my graphics card because its has a HUGE fan and cooling pipes (gets as low as 30c sometimes =P) has any1 ever tried ocing a radeon 3870?
December 28, 2008 6:05:43 PM

grant64330 said:
meh ive already tried that, and im on 8.11 (they havent released 8.12 for my card yet :(  ) it might be that i have vista x64,i guess ill try looking for some patches for crysis but i doubt they wild anything...maybe i should OC my graphics card because its has a HUGE fan and cooling pipes (gets as low as 30c sometimes =P) has any1 ever tried ocing a radeon 3870?

yes, i OCed both my 3870s. i must say, they have some great potential. my 3870s are HIS Iceq3 design. i set the clocks to 850core and 1250MEM
what type of 3870 do you have?
December 28, 2008 6:30:28 PM

I doubt you will get any higher on a 3870 bro... I get 30-50 FPS on Crysis with an overclocked 4850 at 1680x1050 on high settings.
December 28, 2008 9:38:15 PM

werxen said:
I doubt you will get any higher on a 3870 bro... I get 30-50 FPS on Crysis with an overclocked 4850 at 1680x1050 on high settings.


I would have to agree. I have a Phenom 9950 and a 4850 with 4GB RAM, and I usually get around 25-30 FPS in 1680.1050 on high. But I used this tweak which greatly increased in-game FPS as well as the quality of textures over 'vanilla' (un-tweaked) Crysis:

C.U.D.A.A.T.S [CCC] v2.21 [+PICS & Benchmarks]

Let me just say this is a great tweak and it allows me to run Crysis at 1280.1024 at high settings with 2X AA at roughly 35 FPS. I can sometimes get playable at 4X with the same resolution, but I don't usually push it.

Simply stated, the tweak will increase your performance as Crysis is really a poorly programmed game I find without tweaking it.
December 29, 2008 7:42:28 AM

OK, so i opened CCC and changed the clock speed to 840 mhz...and it wont let me go any higher than that :fou:  also, it wont let me adjust the vram speed :(  anyone know any good ocing programs that i could use? (840mhz only improved my fps by a few frames but im still stuck at 13 average on high 1280x1024 no aa... :cry:  )
December 29, 2008 1:54:58 PM

grant64330 said:
OK, so i opened CCC and changed the clock speed to 840 mhz...and it wont let me go any higher than that :fou:  also, it wont let me adjust the vram speed :(  anyone know any good ocing programs that i could use? (840mhz only improved my fps by a few frames but im still stuck at 13 average on high 1280x1024 no aa... :cry:  )


Please try this, it will help for Crysis (I assume that's what game you're getting those FPS):

http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=23117
December 29, 2008 4:24:23 PM

grant64330 said:
OK, so i opened CCC and changed the clock speed to 840 mhz...and it wont let me go any higher than that :fou:  also, it wont let me adjust the vram speed :(  anyone know any good ocing programs that i could use? (840mhz only improved my fps by a few frames but im still stuck at 13 average on high 1280x1024 no aa... :cry:  )

if i could see what you were doin, it would be alot easier.

you could give rivatuner a try, thats a great OCing program:) 
but i prefer cataylist
December 31, 2008 1:49:39 PM

I think i know what the problem is-its that crysis isnt well optimized for x64, because i can set COD4 on 4xaa, full turned up trilinear filtering, and highest settings on everything, and i get above 80fps, but i can go and play CS:S and my framerates will go below 25. When i had win xp, i would get above 30fps average for crysis, and now im averaging 13fps on it...DX 10 is not that huge of a change...i guess im gonna try downgrading to vista 32 bit and see the differences (although i can only use 3gb of ram then :(  ) wish me luck :sweat: 
(unless, that is, someone can think of something better to do...)
December 31, 2008 1:53:00 PM

grant64330 said:
I think i know what the problem is-its that crysis isnt well optimized for x64, because i can set COD4 on 4xaa, full turned up trilinear filtering, and highest settings on everything, and i get above 80fps, but i can go and play CS:S and my framerates will go below 25. When i had win xp, i would get above 30fps average for crysis, and now im averaging 13fps on it...DX 10 is not that huge of a change...i guess im gonna try downgrading to vista 32 bit and see the differences (although i can only use 3gb of ram then :(  ) wish me luck :sweat: 
(unless, that is, someone can think of something better to do...)


I never use Crysis really as a benchmark for anything because it's really hit or miss on any hardware because of its poor optimization (unless you use the tweak above I mentioned, which works wonders :sarcastic:  )
December 31, 2008 9:05:19 PM

I hate to add my two cents here because the discussion has become somewhat bitter. That said, you probably are getting about the frame rates that you should be getting like RR said. You are also saying that in other benching type programs you are about where you should be, ie 3dmark06. I am surprised that you can get as high as 11k in 3dmark06 That seems to be on the high side for a 2,2ghz cpu, even though 3dmark like 4 cores over 2 cores. Are you able to over clock your CPU? Is the TBL patch present in the bios? Is the computer clean and free of malware/botnets etc? Correct setting in bios for VC power etc? Have you tried the hot fix for the ATI driver? Your cpu is 2.2ghz at stock settings and you are comparing it to a tested system at 2.66ghz which is also a clean installed system with no extra software running no anti-virus or and clock sucking extra programs running. That tested system is running as well as the testers can make it. Most of us do not have a system like that. We have a general purpose rigs and not a pure test bed. Insure that the system is totally clean of malware. Maybe even try a reinstall of you OS along with drivers. As stated before you don't need to install the patch for the TBL. I see that newegg no longer lists your cpu. Will your MB support a 9950 be? Or any of the BE phenoms?

****************************************
Just a polite note to Rambo, you said you have a C2D running at 3.3ghz which is a world of difference in that it is running 1.1ghz faster than the OPs cpu, a full 1/3 faster all things being equal his scores might be 1/3 lower. You got 20-30 he's getting 15fps.
December 31, 2008 9:23:34 PM

topper743 said:
I hate to add my two cents here because the discussion has become somewhat bitter. That said, you probably are getting about the frame rates that you should be getting like RR said. You are also saying that in other benching type programs you are about where you should be, ie 3dmark06. I am surprised that you can get as high as 11k in 3dmark06 That seems to be on the high side for a 2,2ghz cpu, even though 3dmark like 4 cores over 2 cores. Are you able to over clock your CPU? Is the TBL patch present in the bios? Is the computer clean and free of malware/botnets etc? Correct setting in bios for VC power etc? Have you tried the hot fix for the ATI driver? Your cpu is 2.2ghz at stock settings and you are comparing it to a tested system at 2.66ghz which is also a clean installed system with no extra software running no anti-virus or and clock sucking extra programs running. That tested system is running as well as the testers can make it. Most of us do not have a system like that. We have a general purpose rigs and not a pure test bed. Insure that the system is totally clean of malware. Maybe even try a reinstall of you OS along with drivers. As stated before you don't need to install the patch for the TBL. I see that newegg no longer lists your cpu. Will your MB support a 9950 be? Or any of the BE phenoms?

****************************************
Just a polite note to Rambo, you said you have a C2D running at 3.3ghz which is a world of difference in that it is running 1.1ghz faster than the OPs cpu, a full 1/3 faster all things being equal his scores might be 1/3 lower. You got 20-30 he's getting 15fps.

ummm, actually i WISH i had a C2D. i said i have an athlon x2 5000+ BE lol.
that CPU of his should be able to make it to 3GHZ with the proper voltage and FSB adjustments. 3870 likes power. and right now, even my CPU is being bottlenecked by my 3870s :( 

oh yeh, and ddont EVER recomend him getting a new phenom. those things suck horribley. IF his mobo's BIOS gets updated when the new PhenomII's come out, he should invest in the phenom 920 and overclock the heck out of it.
thats the best place to put your money m8 ;) 
January 1, 2009 2:36:51 PM

15?.......15?........Rambo you are 15?

I was going to write a long rant about youth and inexperience, but I thought better of it.

*********************
Grant I guess you could as some have stated completely redo you system. I still think that if you can get your ghz system rate up you'll have the fps you want providing that everything is working correctly otherwise. You could OC or perhaps drop in a new cpu. Try the over clock route first. I have one of these and it is working very well. 15.2k 3dmark06 with one video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Tell us how the tweaks and such work out
January 2, 2009 3:58:37 AM

you racist, lol :p 


15.2k???? wow, what type of CPU is this now..?
like core 2 quad extreme at 4GHZ?
my 3870s are only getting about 12.5k at best xD (sucky CPU guhh)
January 2, 2009 4:02:59 PM

I'm going to go to frys and buy an aftermarket CPU heatsink (I'm still on stock :na: ) then I'll try to OC my cpu to around 3ghz, then if that doesn't make much of an fps diff on Crysis or 3Dmark, I'll try to OC the gpu (I bought my phenom for $100 in april lol :kaola:  ) then if none of that works, I'll buy a phenom 920 or 940 when they come out (which will hopefully be soon :heink: )
January 2, 2009 6:22:35 PM

excelent! hope it will all work out for you.

make sure to post here again and tell the results of the OC
January 4, 2009 12:10:03 PM

haha, when i went to frys I saw my CPU selling for $59...I was thinking about buying one and selling it on Ebay for $100 :na:  Anyways, frys was out of stock on AM2+ CPU heatsinks, so I went ahead and ordered one off of newegg (probably better & cheaper than what Frys had to offer, I'm just impatient :pt1cable:  (heres the heatsink I bought, (forum messed up link for some reason....) I should be getting it on Mon or Tuesday...I'll post teh ub3r OC results after that...(at least I know even if something goes HORRIBLY wrong I only lost $59 :lol:  )


teh fixed link, consider buying one if you have an amd CPU and want a good cheap heatsink....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 4, 2009 3:31:36 PM

ok.... you didnt exactly give us a link to your heatsink. all i know is what brand your getting.

pray your motherboard's BIOS gives you access to voltage control though;)
January 4, 2009 4:21:40 PM

rambo117 said:
not really, im getting a good playable amount of framerate with my rig.

go play with your girly 4670 at that resolution and lets all laugh at your framerate



you do know that the 4670 is like the direct replacement and performance wise on par witha 3870??? just letting you know...at least that is what i read somewhere on the internet
January 5, 2009 10:05:00 PM

patater said:
you do know that the 4670 is like the direct replacement and performance wise on par witha 3870??? just letting you know...at least that is what i read somewhere on the internet

not entirely. the 3870 is still much faster clock and memorywise.
Gddr4 on the 3870 and Gddr3 on 4670

the only 'real' advantage with the 4670 is its ability to effectively use AA. 3870 kinda lacks in that scenario.
January 15, 2009 12:40:16 AM

OK, so after 12 days I FINALLY GOT the new HS for my proc (I usually <3 newegg but theyr shipping took over 9 days when it was guaranteed 3 day shipping...I blame UPS...) anyways, at first it was kind of hard to put in (the clip took around 30 mins to FINALLY put in after a last ditch brute-force method...) I am currently running 32-36c idle and no more than 51c on full load from prime95 from stock 50-55idle and ALL the way up to 71c max while on p95...I expect the temps to imrpove as the thermal grease (that was included with the HS :) ) hardens (maybe a few more degrees c =P) Anyways, I am going to start posting the results here in around 1-3 hours...I'm going to start at core voltage, then steadily rise up until I hit a bottleneck..then run a benchmark on Crysis on highest stable OC and if theres any fps gain ill post it :D  (at least noticeable...hopefully...) Ive seen a lot of forums post that Phenom (especially 9500) isnt a good OC... :sweat:  wish me luck XD
January 22, 2009 4:41:40 AM

Don't know if this is the same problem, but when I went from a Geforce 6600 to a new Radeon 4670 I had serious issues. My FPS went way DOWN in most games, and adjusting video settings had zero effect - 640x480 with everything set to low was exactly the same framerate as max res with everything on high. TF2 was totally unplayable... and this coming from someone who was using a 6600.

After a great deal of dicking around, I eventually found that uninstalling Windows XP SP3 and reverting to SP2 solved my issues. Also, tried it with a Vista install, and it worked fine in Vista (WoW had some issues, though).
January 22, 2009 11:28:20 AM

3870 cant get 11k in 3d mark vantage

maybe on 06 or 05 !!!
January 22, 2009 4:50:57 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
Sorry, I dont got the 4670 no more. I got the 4850x2, so have fun with your 20 frames:) 

You say you got a good amount of lag, and you call it playable. Sorry buddy, lag does not = playable.

Go ask your mommy if you can have a paper route.


roadrunner your a chump
!