Sign in with
Your question

Adive on Overclocking a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2010 6:24:43 PM

Just got myself the above new board yesterday. Overclocking the CPU is simple enough, but im not really understanding how the RAM overclocks in relation to the CPU.

I have a C2D E6400 and 2x2GB Corsair XMS2-PC6400 in Dual Channel.

(G)MCH Frequency Latch can be adjusted to set the DDR2 according to the CPU Multiplyer (AUTO, 200, 266, 333, 400).

I want to fix the ram at 800Mhz or 860Mhz (Its max O/C speed), yet even when I adjust the CPU frequency, the 2 numbers that are shown as the ram speed (the actual 800MHz and thee 2nd number is the adjustment made according to the CPU Host Frequency and the system memory multiplier) are still increasing.

I dont understand the reading in CPU-Z, It says .. for each module.. JEDEC#1 210Mhz, JEDEC#2 400Mhz.

Ide like advise on Overclocking this please.

C
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2010 12:57:26 AM

Hello. You are not able to set the RAM speed directly, it is based off the FSB. The higher you raise the FSB the higher the RAM speed will go, however this would be a problem as the RAM would reach a speed which it cannot handle. That is where the "MCH Frequency Latch" comes in, it allows you to lower the speed of the RAM but only by certain amounts.

In short you are not able to set the RAM to 800MHz or 860MHz as it is based on the FSB and the "MCH Frequency Latch". If you really want the RAM at a certain speed then you can adjust the FSB higher by changing the CPU multiplier to keep the same CPU speed.
a c 156 V Motherboard
a c 197 K Overclocking
a c 172 à CPUs
April 21, 2010 2:36:02 PM

My suggestion:
Start over with your FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1. Then increase your FSB and the RAM will follow.

I dont understand the reading in CPU-Z, It says .. for each module.. JEDEC#1 210Mhz, JEDEC#2 400Mhz. said:
I dont understand the reading in CPU-Z, It says .. for each module.. JEDEC#1 210Mhz, JEDEC#2 400Mhz.

JEDEC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEDEC

The #1 and #2 numbers represent RAM profiles stored in a small SPD chip on the memory stick. If a motherboard can read them, it helps to automatically set the memory.

(Hey, purists. I know I am oversimplifying a little.)
!