Configuring single sata drive GA-MA78GM

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I am trying to configure a single sata drive to work under the GA-MA78GM-US2H amd motherboard

I followed the instructions from and enabled 'RAID' for 'OnChip SATA Type', and set 'OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type' to 'As SATA Type' and skipped step 3 which was configuring RAID (the manual said to skip this step if i want a single sata drive)

But when I boot up the computer it just stays at 'Verifying DMI Pool Data.........'
and then the bootable CD starts to turn but after a few seconds slows down and stops and it just stays at that screen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have the same motherboard.
You do not need enable RAID if you are not running RAID.
Set both controllers to SATA AHCI if you are going to load Vista. Vista has SATA driver support and will find the drive fine in this mode.
Set them to IDE mode if you are going to run XP.
You can set them to AHCI mode for XP IF you make a floppy disk and put the SATA drivers on it. (check your manual, in the back section it tells you how to do this, there is an exe file on the motherboard DVD that will make the disk for you)
XP contains no native SATA support for AHCI mode. So when the install starts, you must do the F6 thing and present the correct drivers via floppy for XP to be able to see the hard drive.
IDE mode, XP will find the drive and load with no problems, you just will not have some of the addtional features the SATA drive can support, like hot swapping. Performance wise there is almost no difference.
Make sure to set your boot order to DVD/CD first, hard drive second.
Anymore problems, let me know.

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
i set SATA type to AHCI and made sure the SATA Port 4/5 is set to As SATA type

but no luck....i have my HD connected to channel 0 and DVD to chennel 4...but nothing...

i mean it loads the installer, but I am having the same issue i used to have before i configured RAID

the installer loads but it is sooo slow, takes a very long time to load the first menu, and then when i click 'Instlal Now' it just says 'please wait' for a very long time and nothing happens

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
yes sorry i was speaking of vista,

I also tried using linux, i tried instlaling with ubuntu, when I configure the hard drive setting and click install, it starts to format the disk but stops at 5% and then i get a message saying that it has failed...

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
yes i tried with a few actually, and I just bought this hard drive today...i dont know im getting very confused...

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
are u..kidding me.......

the problem this whole time was the ram....damn motherboard only supports corsair or specific raim...i was using OCZ i just swapped the ram with my other PC and it worked just fine....that is crazy... :S

thank you for all your help

But wait, just go into the BIOS and make sure the RAM is running at it's correct voltage and timings, try from there. That may be all you need to do.
I am runnning 2x2 gig of Crucial 1066/1200 on mine, and it works perfectly.
The board even detects and sets the RAM correctly for 1066 operation at first boot, with my Phenom 2 processor anyway.

damounh

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
thank you for your advice, im going to try it out right away.

but yes it sounds like its all the voltage problem, i believe the OCZ i had before required a higher voltage but I did not configure that which caused problems..

ill try it tonight, thanks again, I will post if I have any further problems...

bgtex

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Hey guys!
I just bought the motherboard and SATA 3.5 BARRACUDA HD from Seagate. I originally had another HD I wanted to use but an error message came up during Windows setup. 0x0000007B, 0xfffffadf9e4323c0, oxffffffffc0000034, 0x000000000000000, ect..... SO I went out to get the HD I just talked about. Same problem occured. I began looking at all the settings and made my DVDRom #1 and the HD #2. I installed the cd the motherboard came with and it finished downloading. SAME problem occured. SO i read the manual and it said to press 6 then S in order to load my HD since i'm using SATA(<---- I think this is correct)??? It asks for me to install in drive A. I do have a floppy drive in another comp but I would hate to go through that hassle. Is there anyway around this? If not, what do I do from there.

P.S.- I had no Idea that we still used floppy drives.

Thanks