Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Overclock vs. case size

Last response: in Overclocking
April 15, 2010 7:21:01 PM

I'm all on board with the Tom's philosophy of bang for the buck. I was all ready to go with an OC'd i5-750 and two ATI 5770s in XFire.

But I need a desktop enclosure and that really limits my cooling options due to clearance issues - and thus my ability to OC.

Can I OC enough with a low-profile cooler (like the Cooljag Falcon II) to get the price/performance Tom recommends? Or should I upgrade components to make up for the lack of OC?

Sorry if this has been covered before. I could not for the life of me find the search feature...

BTW: I'm mostly an MMO gamer. I do some video stuff and photo manipulation.

More about : overclock case size

April 15, 2010 11:38:47 PM

I'm not certain that would fit - so far my build is just a shopping cart on NewEgg =]

Has anyone put this cooler in microATX desktop? (like the Silverstone SG-01/02)

It does beg the question, should I spend $80 on cooling to OC my bargain CPU, or just put that money into a better CPU?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2010 1:22:25 AM

If you are overcloking for the love of it, then get the cooler. But if you just want to have the highest possible clockspeed for your budget, then get the better CPU to save any OC effort ( and some frustrations that may come with it) and start enjoying your PC right away.
April 16, 2010 5:29:39 PM

That's probably the soundest advice, but I was hoping for something more technical.

Like: if you can only use a low-profile HS then you can only overclock the i5-750 by x% and that's only equivalent to an i7-XXX, and therefore not the best bang for the buck. I guess there are too many unknown factors to be that rigorous.

I was thinking about the cooler question. The $80 extra would only barely get me into an i7-860 with a stock cooler. Is that better than a mildly OC'd i5-750?
m
l
April 16, 2010 10:47:31 PM

That's a great article, thanks! I was planning on going dual GPU (2x5770) but I think that the i5-750 should probably keep up...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 3:57:40 AM

One of Toms system builder marathons not too long ago used compact cases and their overclocks suffered for it, some because they had to use the stock cooler and some because they have limited ventilation.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 8:27:54 AM

wiatrog said:
I'm all on board with the Tom's philosophy of bang for the buck. I was all ready to go with an OC'd i5-750 and two ATI 5770s in XFire.

But I need a desktop enclosure and that really limits my cooling options due to clearance issues - and thus my ability to OC.

Got a bit confused with your statement in the original post. Do you really mean "I need a desktop enclosure" or you do mean "I have a desktop enclosure" or PC Case that really limits your cooling option due to clearance issues?
m
l
April 17, 2010 11:11:41 AM

To clarify: I have a 14 month old girl that likes to push buttons. She just about fried my current computer by jamming on the power button repeatedly. My next PC case would ideally sit on the desktop and be out of reach of curious fingers...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 5:00:45 PM

wiatrog said:
To clarify: I have a 14 month old girl that likes to push buttons. She just about fried my current computer by jamming on the power button repeatedly. My next PC case would ideally sit on the desktop and be out of reach of curious fingers...
:D  Funny how our little ones controls the way how we do things at home...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 5:05:10 PM

wiatrog said:
I just need to figure out how much visual clutter the top of my desk can stand. Or rather, my wife can stand!
Amen to that... :) 
m
l
April 17, 2010 6:14:43 PM

Eureka! It dawned on me this morning that I'm not really roped into mATX. A full-sized desktop could work, or better yet: a deskside case that has power and reset buttons behind a door of some kind. I suppose that's a question for a different forum though... =]
m
l
April 18, 2010 5:05:50 AM

Well, I just found a sippy cup lying down on top of my current case. I guess it's got to be a desktop now.

On the good news side: I did see someone post in the forums that the Corsair H50 *does* fit in the Silverstone SG04.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:16:35 AM

I've decided to go with the Qmicra Qv2e. Small enough for the desktop - big enough for a 120mm aircooler or even WC.
m
l
April 25, 2010 4:52:22 AM

I wonder how the hypermaster 212 compares to the corsair hydro cpu cooler?

An i5 + dual 5770's would total rip apart any game out right now.
m
l
April 27, 2010 12:37:06 AM

I ended up going with the Hyper 212 since the Qmicra has the headroom. I also opted for the 5850 - it ended up being cheaper than two 5770s and I have a more obvious upgrade path: an empty PCIe slot!
m
l
May 7, 2010 12:08:02 AM

Best answer selected by wiatrog.
m
l
!