Intel chipset X48 or X58 surely one of you gurus can advise

kenjkirkland

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
I'm trying to figure out which to go with...I know the x58 requires the latest Intel cpu i7. Both boards are basically in same $ range, and I can get a low in i7 for what I can get a core 2 quad, or whatever its called. I'm definetly a ATI radeon man, but asus has a board that will fly cross fire or sli, but thats not the issue, which is; the quad core P-5, or i7 P-6?
Is there any pros and cons, I just need some good advice. so I'd appeciate any help.

Thanks Ken :sweat:

mellor x

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
the basic thing about i7 is that it has a level 3 cache which in basic terms means....

that all the cores within the processor have a main level at which they can communicate to each other and see what each core is processing at any given time.

this will make your system faster as core2 duo and quad's have only a level 2 cache

the down side to this is the actual price of the i7 processors, to get a pritty decent one your looking to spend a bit of time saving for it.

The L3 cache is hardly the most significant thing about the i7 architecture. IMHO, the i7 is the way to go if you have the budget for it, and it sounds like you do.

kenjkirkland

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks Mellor X, and cjl, and also froonoon for your replies; you all concurred with one another, and thats good enough for me. Your answers was just what I needed to know...again thank you all very much.

kenjkirkland

kenjkirkland

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hello mellor x:
Thank you for your reply to my question, and you assumed correct about having to save up$. I don't want to take advantage of you, well I guess I do since I asking you personally another question, but what m-board brand and model would you go with to put your core i7 in? I have always used ATI video, because if nothing else I never had to replace one unless upgrading. If you have time and willing you can suggest ram you had the best luck w/ cause i've sent back bad ram when I built sys 2003 :pfff: til I was blue in the face.

I appreciate any other advice you have time for. kenjkirkland

TRENDING THREADS