Feb 19, 2007
Alright, here's what I have currently.

CPU: Intel Core i7 920

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe

RAM: G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 1600

Graphics Card: DIAMOND 4870X2

Hard Drive: Western Digital VelociRaptor

DVD Drive: SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner

PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W (already ordered)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred (already ordered)

This is the final build I have come up with. I have a few questions for refining the build. I'm wondering if I should make any upgrades anywhere. I'm going to be using the computer for gaming on high settings (Crysis) and HD video editing. My current monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050, but I might upgrade to 1920x1200 in the near future. I plan on overclocking. I don't mind paying extra if the upgrades are worth it.

Is the 920 the best i7 to buy currently? Could I gain much upgrading to 940 or 965?
I've heard nothing but good things about Corsair Dominator RAM. Should I go with that? It's $75 more.
Would there be a reason to go with the ASUS Rampage II over P6T Deluxe? It's $100 more.
Should I go with 280GTX (maybe SLI) instead of 4870X2?

Amg

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
I don't think that X2 would like that reslotuion it will be faster at a higer res.... in crysis which is a nvidia based game you would get better performace out of a nvidia graphics card, means you are getting a p6k it is okay to go for SLI, I belive that one is SLI as well as croSSFIREx ready

what coolers you getting, I hope your not going to try and put the stock cooler on are you?

the I7 from what I ve seen has nothing over a x48 chipset with a extreme quad in fact the extreme qaud beats it from the onces I was looking at, only at windows apps the I7 flys some ppl might have seen differenty, but still keep with it its a great overclocker and plus if you decide to go with nvidia you don't have to change anything for SLI :p
that true power is a little over kill but it will just make sure

have you looked at the GTX280 ?? in SLI I know its more expensive than the X2 if you buy two of them but the gameplay in crysis is faster.... its not AMD/ATIs fault its cryteks and nvidias why the game is like that.

corsair is probley the best memory brand out there and the rampage has what over the P6K ? its a ROG and that explains everything.

I don't think there would be much if your overclocking but the 965 is faster but is it worth it i would stay with the 940 and ov the hell out of it

gators1223

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
ok i would say stay with the 920 and oc it a little you can get 3.33ghz i hear without changing any voltages also i would stick with the x2 as well and g.skill memory is great stuff i have 4gb and it OCs like a dream

Oscarzxc

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
if u want to OC 920, maybe u should consider MSI mobo, i read in some reviews it has OC feature that make ur 920 run on 3.33 simply by switch on the mobo...