Download a Toshiba recovery Disk?

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2009 8:47:48 AM

I lost mine and this is my problem:

Is this link legit?

I have an M300 Toshiba Satellite

Can anyone help me fix it? HELP
February 26, 2009 1:00:56 PM

I know it's not letting me post code in the box for some reason today!!
Anyway, thanks I'll try I just seriously doubt it's only 20$ .....
Is it not possible to download one, just wondering...cause I dont even know what Id copy it too if I did.
February 26, 2009 6:24:06 PM

I believe it is $20 on other toshibas that came with recovery disc.
On the newer toshiba laptops that dont come with recovery disc
but instead just the recovery partition it will cost you $40.
Related resources
February 28, 2009 6:40:55 AM

I must be an idiot. Ive been looking on toshiba website for over two hours and can't see where to purchase one.
And can you be really specific...whatever you think is obvious...prob. isn't to me. Dumb everything way down if possible!
I mean, do I boot with a Windows xp recovery disk or a HDD recovery disk, or are we talk BIOS or what am I needing?
Can I boot "whatever it is" from a LAN line? I doubt id figure that out though. It's 75 $ to send in for repairs w/ my warranty.

(BTW I have a M300-S1002X, Satellite Pro, w/ windows xp SP2)

I found the following Information:
It sounds good and all, but how in the heck do I do it!

Many Toshiba PCs can boot (start Windows, or another operating system) from devices other than the built-in hard disk (HDD) or built-in diskette drive (FDD). These devices include USB diskette drives, CD-ROM discs, a local area network (LAN), and PC Card (PCMCIA) hard disk drives.

Toshiba PCs that offer alternate boot devices allow you to specify which device to boot from (the 'boot priority') by three methods:

* From BIOS Setup (semi-permanent setting)

Boot priority specifies the order in which the computer searches for a bootable operating system. For example, if you set your system to boot from devices in this order: CD-ROM > HDD > LAN, the computer first checks for a bootable CD, then for a bootable HDD, then for a bootable LAN, and loads the operating system from the first one it finds.

Different models offer different options for setting boot priority. For information about how to access the BIOS/CMOS settings on your Toshiba PC, please see the Support Bulletin entitled "How to access the BIOS Settings on your Toshiba Portable PC" that is applicable to your model. By setting the boot priority in this manner, the boot selected priority setting will be retained for all future restarts, until it is changed again.

* From the Boot Device Menu (temporary setting)

When the TOSHIBA splash screen is displayed when you first turn on your computer, a boot menu prompt may be displayed for a few seconds near the bottom of the screen, indicating that a key (F2 or F12, for example) can be pressed to display a menu of boot options. The time allowed for detecting the keypress is very brief, so you'll need to be both prepared and quick.

On some models this prompt reads Press F12 for boot menu. On others, it may say Press C to boot from CD-ROM. On still others, there may be a row of colored icons representing the various boot devices (HDD, FDD, CD, LAN, PCMCIA, etc.) Press F12 while these icons are displayed, and then use the arrow keys to move the cursor from one to another. As new models are released, the wording of these prompts may change.

On models that offer a text boot device menu, simply press the key corresponding to the desired boot device from the list of available devices.

The selection of a boot device from any of these boot device menus affects only the current startup operation; the next time the computer is started it will follow the boot priority setting established in BIOS Setup (see the BIOS Setup method, above).

* From the Boot Device Hotkeys (temporary setting)

Immediately after pressing the power-on button, press the hotkey for the device from which you wish to boot:

Hotkey Boots from device
C IDE CD-ROM1
F ISA FDD2
U USB FDD3
N internal LAN adapter4

Manual recovery: You can manually reinstall the operating system on your computer. A retail edition of the Windows operating system may be purchased from a computer retailer. You can download the correct drivers and utilities for your computer from the Toshiba Service and Support website at http://www.pcsupport.toshiba.com

Important notice:
While Toshiba makes many device drivers and Toshiba applications available via the Internet, Toshiba's third party software suppliers / licensors restrict Toshiba's ability to deliver many of the bundled application titles via the Internet. This includes, but is not limited to DVD player applications, office productivity applications, and entertainment applications.
March 28, 2009 12:56:36 AM

My laptop is not responding. It just goes back and forth from "Windows xp" to a screen that reads "Sorry for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this". (more possibilties listed) Then towards the bottom it reads " choose Start Windows Normally. (options) Safe Mode, safe mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last known Good configuration". It goes back and forth, back and forth. What can I do to fix this without using my Recovering CD?
Anonymous
August 17, 2009 3:35:31 PM

texasgal26 said:
I know it's not letting me post code in the box for some reason today!!
Anyway, thanks I'll try I just seriously doubt it's only 20$ .....
Is it not possible to download one, just wondering...cause I dont even know what Id copy it too if I did.

no its $24.95, i just ordered one on friday
October 5, 2009 8:05:10 PM

One good lesson learned is DO NOT BUY TOSHIBA. Lousy service and rip off when it comes to customer service. GO FOR DELL. That is my experience with them. They are asking $45 Plus to give me a copy of a recovery disc!!!
Anonymous
October 26, 2009 1:47:56 AM

I once had a problem with my Toshiba satellite L300D laptop, it could not boot and asked me to insert the windows CD, which I did not make copies of the recovery CD. I was asked to pay 189 CAD to get this fixed. Fortunately for me I found a link on this website (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/out...)
that helped without paying any money. Just turn off your computer, then press the 0 (zero) key, while doing that turn on your laptop and the recovery wizard will come up, follow the instruction on the screen. Hope this help!
Anonymous
October 30, 2009 7:22:48 PM

abdaim said:
One good lesson learned is DO NOT BUY TOSHIBA. Lousy service and rip off when it comes to customer service. GO FOR DELL. That is my experience with them. They are asking $45 Plus to give me a copy of a recovery disc!!!

No see here its ppl that buy shitty toshiba computers is going to be disappointed i on the other hand am a proud owner of a Satellite P305D and Qosmio X305 and there bad ass the only other alternative is alien, custom or apple! lmao and about the lousy service is a bunch of bull. Its call buying service ya ass! But its all opinion i guess! :kaola: 
Anonymous
November 13, 2009 6:44:55 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 and i found that even though it's from '05 it still has the capabilities that i needed. But because of what i use it for ( I use it for everything) but i think i got a virus that deleted necessary system files so now it will boot up but when i log in nothing but the background shows up!!! so what i have to do is go to the task manager Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click new task and browse for my programs but before the internet stopped working i downloaded a Windows XP with SP3 and burned it to a DVD with an ISO burner but the problem now is that, 1.) I cant get it to boot off the CD upon startup and 2.) When I Explore the CD and choose Setup.exe its runs it BUT the arrows show up but nothing indicating what the arrows are for???? so im gonna have to Find a way to get it to do what i need it to. . . so if anyone has any suggestions or solutions i would be greatly appreciative!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Forever,
Itzmeuguyz
November 17, 2009 7:29:21 PM

I HAVE A TOSHIBA L305-S5875 WHERE CAN DO I GET THE DRIVER FOR THE WIFI

I WENT TO THE TOSHIBA WEBSITE BUT IT DOES NOT LIST MY LABTOP FOR DRIVERS.
Anonymous
March 30, 2010 4:42:56 PM

TexasGal,
Why bother answering if you are "too lazy to copy and paste the link?" Help or don't but don't do a half assed answer.
March 31, 2010 12:04:16 AM

Go to the Toshiba website, find their support there... either their phone service, or the list of their downloads. You DO need a recovery boot disc, it isn't as simple as using an operating system; you may need to order one, as was mentioned, BUT if you can download the boot recovery disc files that they have available, you'll save yourself time and money... you just need another computer which can burn the cd/dvd and download it.

Toshiba, by the way, outperforms and is more reliable than Dell. Just maybe not as invested in teaching people how to use their products as Dell may be.
Anonymous
April 6, 2010 5:08:25 PM

Dells are worse.The computing power sucks and the barely even have customer support.I bought a brand new computer from them 4 months with a 2 year warranty on it .It crashed 2 weeks after i bought it!! So when i took it in to them to have them replace it they told me the didnt correctly file the warranty information so they couldnt fix it! A $900 computer down the drain. I am never getting a dell again
April 19, 2010 12:41:18 PM

No luck with the downloads... and the support phone number for Toshiba Canada isn't valid anymore! What the hells?

Second hand boot discs?!
May 2, 2010 5:09:16 AM

Quote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829 and i found that even though it's from '05 it still has the capabilities that i needed. But because of what i use it for ( I use it for everything) but i think i got a virus that deleted necessary system files so now it will boot up but when i log in nothing but the background shows up!!! so what i have to do is go to the task manager Ctrl-Alt-Delete and click new task and browse for my programs but before the internet stopped working i downloaded a Windows XP with SP3 and burned it to a DVD with an ISO burner but the problem now is that, 1.) I cant get it to boot off the CD upon startup and 2.) When I Explore the CD and choose Setup.exe its runs it BUT the arrows show up but nothing indicating what the arrows are for???? so im gonna have to Find a way to get it to do what i need it to. . . so if anyone has any suggestions or solutions i would be greatly appreciative!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Forever,
Itzmeuguyz

cntrl alt delete, task manager, newtask, type explore.exe. see if that fixes when you boot and all it shows is a background it should show task bar hope thats it =)
May 25, 2010 9:16:42 PM

I had to try several different numbers, but finally got a live person that said there is no software included because the program that came with our laptops is enbedded in the computer and all we've got to do is follow these steps. I'm still at work, so haven't been home to try it on my laptop but am excited to see if it works.

Step 1: Completely shut down computer and plug into wall

Step 2: Press and hold the # 0 (zero)

Step 3: While holding "0" turn on computer

Step 4: Release 0 when screen changes

Step 5: I wrote down "yes" as the next step, but I think it just means there is a question of some sort that you answer "yes" to.

Step 6: Choose the default or first option for ALL of the remaining questions

Step 7: Computer will reboot itself, then shut itself off 7 - 10 times.

Step 8: If there is an error message, write it down and call 1-800-457-7777 and have your serial number handy.

Good luck everyone!

May 25, 2010 10:26:09 PM

Isn't it press f12 at boot up to go into the recovery partion on Toshibas? or do I have that mixed p with HP's
Anonymous
June 23, 2010 9:34:22 PM

its f8 on mine (L300D)then select the 1st option repair, and you'll have a list of options but beware, i tried to reset the hard drive from the partition and it went wrong and now i have nothing! Burn the recovery disks first, wish i did
June 24, 2010 4:18:52 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!