Questions regarding MB FSB and CPU's

I have a few questions regarding MB FSB and CPU's and ram speeds.... following

1. I'm looking at different CPU's mainly Intel... my question is the 1333FSB... most of the MB I have looked at are all DDR2 800mhz boards.... excluding the Core I7 boards.... What would be a good gaming board that is SLI ready and is 1333FSB with a socket 775 and has x2 PCIe 2.0?

2. If I decide to go socket 775, is the only way to get 1333mhz out of your ram by going DDR3? or overclocking DDR2 (not sure if thats even possible since I'm not much of an overclocker)

3. I'm a bit confused at the numbers considering I always thought you should match everything together I.E. I currently have old school AMD athlon 64 3700+ setup...... Board FSB = 400mhz Ram DDR1 400Mhz... ect ect...

4. What is the highest DDR2 speed you can get w/o O/cing?

Basically I'm asking because if DDR2 is gonna nerf my system at 800mhz FSB, I guess I'll have to go to a DDR3 board instead...

If I'm off or completely wrong with this please help me to understand where I went wrong....
2 answers Last reply
More about questions
  1. The buss speed has you a little confused.
    The 1333 mhz FSB CPU is actually running on a FSB of 333mhz, quad pumped for an effective data rate to the CPU of 1333mhz.
    For advertising purposes, it just sounds much better to say this CPU runs on a 1333mhz FSB, than to be completely truthful and say 333mhz FSB, quad pumped.
    800 mhz memory is plenty for this setup.
    800mhz DDR2 is really running(or capable of running) on a FSB of 400mhz.......400mhz ddr2= 400 double data rate X2 for 800mhz effective.
  2. jitpublisher said:
    The buss speed has you a little confused.
    The 1333 mhz FSB CPU is actually running on a FSB of 333mhz, quad pumped for an effective data rate to the CPU of 1333mhz.
    For advertising purposes, it just sounds much better to say this CPU runs on a 1333mhz FSB, than to be completely truthful and say 333mhz FSB, quad pumped.
    800 mhz memory is plenty for this setup.
    800mhz DDR2 is really running(or capable of running) on a FSB of 400mhz.......400mhz ddr2= 400 double data rate X2 for 800mhz effective.

Many thanks for the clarification... I actually did a bit more researching and found an older post that you have posted to someone regarding the same issue.... I guess the only other question is that say DDR2 PC 6400 is running at 800mhz so in tail would it be safe to say at dual channel you would effectively be capable of hitting 1600mhz (which would cover my 1333mhz needs)?

Basing this system off of a E8500 Duo not a quad core...CPU... Possibly seeing the light here lol :??:
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards DDR2 RAM CPUs