HELP! Blank screen after start-up

I am really out of ideas for a problem I am having with my computer and am hoping that someone can help me out!

When I boot my computer, I hear the POST beep and then I get the following message on the first screen where the CD + DVD + HD drives are being detected:

"IDE channel 0 no 80 conductor cable installed"

My current system configuration is that my CD and DVD drives use IDE cables where as my HD uses a SATA cable.

Following that initial start up screen, the screen just goes blank and the Windows loading screen does not show up. I can access BIOS and I noticed that all my drives are being detected. When I press F8 to enter the setup menu, it asks me to select a Boot First device and I select my SATA HD but the same thing happens, the screen stays blank and the windows loading screen does not appear.

This problem first occurred after I ran a virus scan last night which detected some viruses and asked me to restart the computer to complete the removal process.

I have tried disconnecting the CD & DVD drives but the screen still stays blank after the initial start up screen. I have also tried booting with my Vista DVD and did a system restore but still has not fixed the problem.

I am really out of ideas on what to try. I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or software or both and what to do about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers Last reply
More about help blank screen start
  1. What OS? If you hit F8 at startup, can you select 'Last known good'? Have you tried Safe Mode. If that works, try system restore. What AV are you using? You need a better one.

2. I am using Windows Vista. When I press F8 it asks me to select a "Boot First device" and I select my HDD at which point the blank screen problem happens. I essentially can't get to safe mode and as far as system restore goes, I have tried that using the Vista CD (it lets me access system restore) but that's also been unsuccessful.

3. Copy off any personal data and try a repair install.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Computer Storage