Windows is showing me wrong disk space in C drive or what ?

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hello again to every one :hello:

I have one more problem with my laptop this time .
i have a Dell xps 15 , i re partitioned it and made my C drive of 141 GB .
i installed all the required application and from the last few days i was watching the there is less space in my C drive than it should be there .
i checked out the properties and found out that only 32.6 GB of disk space is utilized out of 141 so there should be around 108 GB free instead it shows me that only 92.9 gb is free

i cleared out the temp folder and there is nothing except 3-4 files which is of some Kbs . then where is the rest 15 GB gone ? :heink:
is there a virus in my pc which is eating up the space ? i am really freaked out :cry:
please can some one help me with this ?
i have a genuine windows 7 ultimate and microsoft security essential and it is updated and i scanned it and found nothing .

btw there is something more , few hours ago there was 94.8 GB free , i installed a game in another drive and i removed it after 2-3 minutes coz i didn't liked it , so after un installing the game i saw there there was 93.4 GB left in my c drive again , i removed files from the temp folder but nothing happened and now there is just 92.9 gb left !
what is happening ! i am really freaked out now

here are the pics

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k556/aktomjerry/?action=view&current=properties.png

http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k556/aktomjerry/?action=view&current=overview.png

and so sorry for my english .
and thanks in advance

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

15 GB of hidden file !!!!!!! and look in the pics carefully i have showed the hidden files too .
but seriously 15 GB are alot i think .

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
yes, there are hidden files and also u have the paging file aswell witch is hidden. If u have 8 GB o ram Windows usualy alocates the same amount of paging like your ram so..8 GB gone from the start. U also have sistem restore files.

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

ok i have 6 gb of ram , so lets consider 6 gb gone for the paging , but then again why it keeps reducing , like when i booted it up few hours ago it showed me 93.4 gb free and now its showing me 92.9 gb
why is it keep reducing ?

vigilante212

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
First off windows detects drive size differently then the drive manufacturers so instead of 1000 for a gig mic uses 1024. And every time you install something files get placed in the registry these files aren't deleted usually when the program is and have to be cleaned up with a registry cleaner.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
have you installed a program in the mean while? if you did the windows automatically makes a restore point. And you also have hidden temp files in the User folder aswell, not only in the windows folder. Also the Prefetch can be emtyed aswell.

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

thanks a lot for ur answer but i am a computer student to i know about cleaning the registries and all so not worry about that .
i just hope its not a worm .

mavroxur

Distinguished
If your system has 4gb of RAM, windows will create an 4gb hibernate file and an 4gb swap file. Both are hidden in the root of the boot volume. In addition to those, system restore also creates restore point files, which are hidden in a System Restore folder on the boot volume. It all adds up.

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

so that means , since i have 6 gb of ram so 6 gb hibernate file and 6 gb swap so a total of 12 GB and then 1 gb as hidden one ^^
that explains everything ^^
thanks a lot "mavroxur" i am so happy and feeling relief now
and thanks to all of u guys crisan_tiberiu, Vigilante212, farrengottu for ur answers ^^
i am really happy now ^^

mavroxur

Distinguished
No problem. If you just *really* want to reclaim some of that space, you can disable hibernation support in Power Options under control panel (Power options -> plan settings -> advanced settings -> sleep -> hibernate). You can also disable system restore (which I always do) In Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> System Protection -> Configure. Just keep in mind that disabling system restore will not allow you to roll back to a restore point in the even you have system problems. Backing up regularly is a good idea if you decide to disable system restore. As far as the swap file, I generally don't recommend that the average Joe go screwing with swap file settings. It's best left to automatic in most situations. Exceptions being systems with 12gb+ RAM, or systems used for specific tasks that have unique memory usage characteristics (video rendering / editing, etc.)

mavroxur

Distinguished

You know that sleep and hibernation are two completely different things, right? In sleep mode, your system shuts down, but your RAM is still powered on. In hibernation, the RAM is copied to a hibernation file, and the entire system is powered off. When powered back on, your hibernation file is restored to RAM. When powering on from sleep mode, you have a much faster resume time. Laptops can't sit in sleep mode forever, as this still requires battery power to maintain this state. Laptops will usually sleep for a certain period of time, and then hibernate automatically. While you're right that the difference in power use is minimal, it is a big deal for laptops. Desktops.... meh, it doesn't matter. Personally i'd never use hibernate on a desktop.

phatbuddha79

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2009

Uh, yes I do know that. In my experience, sleep is much much better even though it still takes power, it barely even SIPS it. I remember putting my work laptop to sleep and it barely even used 1% per hour. If you think about it, when you use hibernation, especially if you got a lot of RAM it takes a long time to put it to hibernation which takes probably even more power right?