I7 or core 2 duo

Hello,

I am trying to build a brand new pc from scratch but can not seem to decide between getting an i7 or core 2 duo (E8400). For the last year and a half I have been sticking to my laptop but enough is enough. I would like to get dual core but was wondering would if a core i7 would be a safer investment. Overall the additional price for me would be around 150-200 euros (including motherboard, dd3 ram and processor)... that would work out to be round about 300 dollars. Maybe less if I can find good deal for the components. Although at the moment I seriously doubt I would appreciate any difference in performance between a dual core and i7, would an i7 last me longer? Or rather would I be reaping any additional benefits from an i7 system in the next year compared to the dual core. Performance is always good but a 10% boost would be worthless for the price I have to pay. Though I can not think of ever owning a system that has never gotten obsolete after 2 years. Prices for ddr3 have dropped quite a bit actually, and some of the x58 motherboards are close to price range of the x48 motherboards I was looking at. Oh yes my primary and most probably only use for a computer would be to play computer games. Here is the build I was looking at:

BenQ V2400W 24" TFT (got it)
GA-X48T-DS5 Motherboard
Intel E8400 Dual Core
Radeon HD 4870 1GB
4GB DDR2 1200mhz
Logitech G51 Surround Sound 5.1 Speaker System (got it)

So obviously, apart from the motherboard, ram and cpu I would be pretty much sticking to that list. For the i7 i might consider Asus P6T Deluxe and Intel Core i7 920 2.66 ghz. I am not overly crazy about overclocking but would definitely consider tweaking my system.

i7-nub
15 answers Last reply
More about core
  1. I doubt i7 will last too much longer, as I think Intel is coming out with a new socket soon.

If you plan to OC, the E8500 should serve all your purposes.
  2. Hi,

+1 to The Third Level
    Intel is already having something like 32nm CPU in the pipeline and definitely new socket will be needed. Core i7 is great CPU no discussion about it and it will last longer than Dual/Quad but with new Intel release there is end of i7 forward looking scheme.

If you are gamer (and you are I suppose) Dual Core (or Quad Core) is way to go. Maybe we can expect PC games optimization for 4 cores so therefore Quad might be better investment but who knows…definitely e8400-8500 is good CPU for gaming unless you are running something crazy like 3 SLI GTX285 then i7 is having upper hand indeed. In case of one GPU or even one dual GPU (4870x2 or GTX 295) there is negligible to some (1%-8%) performance gap between i7 and dual/quad core. Check this out
    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=807
    http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=770
    …really not worth 300 EUR.

Concerning your build I would change it a bit:

CPU: e8500 as The Third Level suggested and oced it up to 4+ Ghz with…
    Cooler: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 + retention bracket
    RAM: you don’t need anything like DDR2 1200 Mhz, do not waste your money, decent DDR2 800Mhz is all what you need - 4Gb G.Skill DDR2 800 Pi Black 4-4-4-12 at 1.8-1,9V; save 40-50 EUR
    GPU and MB: 4870 1Gb with GA-EP45-UD3P great mobo and you save cca 80EUR plus you can put another 4870 1Gb latter on (only 8x PCI 2.0 slot - some performance loss, but anything significant)
    or even much better
    GPU and MB: 4870x2 or GTX295 with GA-EP45-UD3R/ASUS P5Q (both no CF) and save cca 120 EUR (on MB)
    PSU: Corsair TX750W
    HD: WD 640GB - WD64010AAKS (or two)
    Case: something with good air flow (Coolermaster HAF 932 – good price, reliable, perfect air flow, a lot of space)

Just save money on RAM and MB and invest more to GPU for awesome gaming experience, but do not waste your money on i7 GAMING build.
  3. Yes Intel has a new socket on the way. It is for a budget version i5 with DDR2 ram.

i7 CPUs will be around for quite a while. i5 isn't to compete with i7, just another way to corner lowend markets.
  4. Glad Im not the only one who was under the impression that all future I7's will be LGA1366 sockets. I looked over many web pages trying to find out about the 32nm shrink and eveyr source states LGA1366 :-)
  5. Thanks for the comments. I believe I will stick with a dual core i.e E8500. For the motherboard I am actually thinking of getting the Gigabyte X48T-DQ6... slightly more expensive than the X48-DS5 am able to get 4GB OCZ DDR3-1600 at a very low price.
  6. How are the I7's for heat?
  7. dual core days are dead, any i7 will leave a core 2 duo in the dust

the i5 and its new socket is for the the budget market - the i7 and its socket will remain

taken a look an the Phenom II or Core 2 Quad?

as for heat - all are about even for efficiency
  8. coaxui said:
    For the motherboard I am actually thinking of getting the Gigabyte X48T-DQ6... slightly more expensive than the X48-DS5 am able to get 4GB OCZ DDR3-1600 at a very low price.

I don't know. I don't think that DDR3 is worth the money unless you are running an i7 CPU - unless you can get it at DDR2 prices.
  9. i would suggest getting the phenom II 940 ull save a lot of cash on the amd build and mayb get a second gpu with that money as ull hardly find much difference between a game running at 60fps compared to a game running at 65fps give the new phenom's a look and it comes with both ddr2 and ddr3 support soo i think it'll be wise investing there as im myself getting a new amd rig this week!
  10. oph btw im notb an amd fanboy lolsss
  11. I would go for the Core i7, mostly because tons of games in the near future will likely support more than 2 cores. The i7 is a quad-core, so even if the game supports only 2 cores, you'll have 2 extra cores for background processes - a necessity with Windows Vista or Windows 7. Also, the i7 overclocks very well. I'm running my 920 @ 3.2GHz on stock voltage and stock cooling right now without any heat issues to speak of. So you could clock the i7 as high as the C2D you're looking at, and you'll have cores to spare, as well as a sh*t ton of memory bandwidth vs the Core 2. IMO, if you can afford it, do it :-/
  12. BTW I'm not an Intel fanboi...
  13. roadrunner197069 said:
    Yes Intel has a new socket on the way. It is for a budget version i5 with DDR2 ram.

i7 CPUs will be around for quite a while. i5 isn't to compete with i7, just another way to corner lowend markets.

I thought it was DDR3 but with duel channel instead of tri channel. AMD is phasing out their processors that support DDR2 only, I don't see a reason Intel would launch something DDR2 only capable.
  14. I think i5 might by like Phenom II in that it has both DDR2 and DDR3 support. Idk.

Anyway, you might also look into a compromise between dual and quad.

Check out the AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition. Unlocked multi for good overclocking, and overall its a solid processor. Will run great, and theres that extra core thrown in for games that can use it. It runs on AM2+ or AM3 mobos, and can use DDR2 or DDR2. Best of all, it's only $150. That's a fraction of the cost of the i7, and it's even cheaper than the E8400.
  15. loneninja said:
    I thought it was DDR3 but with duel channel instead of tri channel. AMD is phasing out their processors that support DDR2 only, I don't see a reason Intel would launch something DDR2 only capable.

From everything I've heard, LGA 1156 will have dual channel DDR3 only - no DDR2 support.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Intel i7