Need help with asus motherboard

Greg Ritchie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I just bought an asus m3a78-em motherboard. I can get video out from the onboard 3200 graphics but when I install a 4850 graphics card in the pci express slot I can't get the board to recognize it. Can some one please tell me what settings I need in the bios to get the 4850 card working? I have read the manual but it is little help. I have used gigabyte and dfi boards before and they all ways recognized the video card.

Greg Ritchie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Yes the power is hooked up and I believe I have disabled the internal graphics. This motherboard replaces a dfi lan party that went down on me last week. I know the video card is good because I tested it in another rig. I just suspect that I'm unfamiliar with the bios settings in the asus so if anyone out there has this motherboard and could tell me the proper procedure for setting up the bios to use the 4850 video card I would be grateful. Thanks

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
I had one of those suckers there is no option to really turn off the on board just selection of on board or others,anyhow I could not get it to install on my 320g WD hdd tried for three days,,and I am not new to computers,,anyhow ,,greg,,you have done everything possible and cannot get your pci-e video recognized???,,RMA,, or return to place of purchase for verification of problem and replacement,although I would not recommend getting another of the same model mobo,they are nice boards though,when they work..:)

Greg Ritchie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I hope I don't have to return it because I am an american living in a 3rd world country and the best I can hope for is to get a replacement. Trying to get your money back here is like trying to take a salmon away from a bear. It just is not going to happen. And I wouldn't be shocked to find that they are not going to be happy to replace it either.
So can any one else out there that has an asus m3a78-em please tell me what they set in bios to get it to recognize a 4850 video card?

Like dokk2 said, there is not really an option to turn off on board in BIOS. I just installed a Radeon 3450 and the Catalyst driver and plug in to the 3450 and run Crossfire with the onboard 3200. You might try a different video card. Or install the latest BIOS. Or try resetting the CMOS jumper and default the current BIOS.

Greg Ritchie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I tried flashing the bios to a newer version and still nothing. I have a 3870 video card that I will try installing tomorrow. If any one else has any suggestions.....

Greg Ritchie

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I installed the 3870 in the motherboard and it worked. The 4850 was in my dfi board when it died so I took it out and tested it in another board to make sure it still worked. It did. Then a few days later I installed it in the new asus motherboard and it didn't work. I took it out and re-tested it and it was dead. How do you figure that? Delayed death from the dfi going out? Any way thanks to those people that took the time to try to help me.

I installed catalyst 9.4 today for my Crossfired 3870's in another machine. So far Cat 9.4 Vista 64 version is working flawlessly. Also installed CAT 9.4 on my ASUS m3a78-em 780G for my Radeon 3450 and Vista 64. That also works flawlessy in native Crossfire.

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Just got done building with one of these same boards yesterday using a Phenom X4 2.5ghz. I can't get it to even get to POST. I've tried a few things like removing all but one stick of RAM but having dived into it real deep yet. It is a new Lan Party Lite case, pretty hard to work on with that case.

I guess I'm going to look for a grounding issue. The memory is straight off the Vendor Approved List for what that's worth.

Hunter844

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Reset CMOS as described in ASUS manual. Nothing

Removed all Memory and all other unnecessary wiring a got no long steady beeps. Suggesting nobody is home.

I did notice that the ground wire from the PSU was not hooked up, is that important?

I confirmed that P4 is hooked up to ATX12 near CPU, the manual says if it isn't it won't boot.

I guess I'll remove the motherboard entirely from the case this afternoon and try to eliminate any possible grounding/shorting issues that may be occurring and run it straight off the cardboard box. I did that on my EVGA board because I was having similar problems when I built that one.

TRENDING THREADS