How to transfer large file from Mac to PC with external HD?

sathoro

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
Yes, it sounds like a stupid question and it probably is. It also brings sadness to my geeky heart to have to ask something like this.

Anyways. I am building my PC on Monday and I have an iso file (6.34 gbs) that cannot go onto a FAT formatted drive since they cannot take an individual file over 4 gbs or so. Also, unless I'm mistaken, Windows completely disregards Mac OS X Extended formats. So what I thought I'd do is plug my FAT drive into a friend's computer and convert it to NTFS. All went well EXCEPT when I plug it into my Mac it is read-only -.-

What to do?

Many thanks for some help! :D

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Format using exFAT; it has the benefit of being cross platform and it supports file sizes as big as NTFS (you will need to format using a Windows PC, however, as MACs can't natively format a drive as exFAT).

sathoro

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

"The maximum file size on a FAT32 formatted drive is around 4 GB. With DVD and high resolution DVD formats now available, this limit is commonly noticed."

Why would that help?

sathoro

Distinguished
May 8, 2010

Are you sure? I have been reading around and nobody has said that Macs can write to exFat