Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Heatsink for AM3

Last response: in Overclocking
April 16, 2010 3:38:28 AM

Specifically the 955BE.

ASRock m3a770de
2gb ddr3 @798ish mhz, 8-8-8-24,40, 2T (OCZ Black edition junk btw)
XFX 4850
Apevia 750 W PSU (junk as well)

My comp idles between 40-50 depending on the fan speed. With the fan
maxxed out I can hear it in my headphones and it annoys me. I am not
sure of the actual DB on the stock cooler but it is louder than the video cards
cooling. I am looking at the TRUE stuff by Thermalright, but want to know what
is the absolute best heatsink for this AM3 socket. Newegg only shows 2 options,
when you go into power search and select socket am2, am2+,am3,
which I am pretty sure is wrong.

This is what I have in my cart atm.
Thermalright TRUE Black 120Rev.C CPU Cooler
IPCQUEEN IPC-12025 120mm Case Fan
and some Arctic Silver.

I'd love to see temps in the low to mid 30's idle and max at around 50 C under load at 3.X ghz...

Any help would be nice, thanks!

-spks19

More about : heatsink am3

April 16, 2010 4:23:31 AM

A friend has his 955BE overclocked to 3.68, so I just called him and he says he likes the Sunbeam 120 heat sink. Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 found at newegg for $ 25 USD after rebate. He also says that there are some that can run as much as 70 to 80 dollars but don't deliver that much better performance. Said there's no problem with getting the rebate either. Have fun and good luck with your system.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 16, 2010 12:42:25 PM

Yeah, the CCF is an awesome cooler, but I guess the question is: what case do you have? Most of the tower coolers require an extra wide case, and/or removal of any fans on the side panel. The CCF just BARELY fits into a friend's case, but damn does it cool! Idles around 30C (ambient 21C) and loads around 60C.

The link to frostytech also has very in-depth reviews about more coolers than I have ever heard of, and it lists the exact height of each one, and how much clearance it has underneath to stand above any heatsinks/capacitors/RAM.
m
l
April 17, 2010 3:10:27 AM

Hmmm. I can run this thing at 3.8ish with the side door off and the stock fan on high. It runs stable enough to do Unigine, but for some reason will restart running BC2. It doesn't even break 58 degrees C before it shuts off.
My case is a Gigabyte cheapo, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ...
It is not very wide at all. I don't have a lot of room for height now that I look at it. There are only about 2 inches between the case intake fan and the cpu cooling fan (mounted blowing down). So I may be stuck getting a tower that will only support an eight centimeter instead of a twelve. If I removed the current cooler however, I could stand a twelve centimeter fan on end and clear the side case if I removed the intake fan... so it may still be an option.

m
l
April 17, 2010 3:24:58 AM

To add info on the previous,
I set the cpu freq to 190 mhz instead of 200, raise the multiplier to 20 (stock 16). This gives you 3.8, the ish is because the ASRock oc tool I am using shows a realtime flux. I also lower the threading from 10 to 7.

It may be crashing because of the junk PSU or the fact that I am only giving it 1.3 volts. (registers between 1.28 and 1.37, go Apevia!) Since it never breaks 60, I do not think it is heat. But again, lower heat never hurt anything but bread.

-Spks19

m
l
April 17, 2010 4:37:43 AM

I was looking at that CCF cooler, and just looking at the pictures showed me that it looked pretty cheap. I am not too worried about price as this computer is being built for a purpose, and cutting costs is not that purpose. I think I found the heatsink (which may require some case modding).

http://www.crazypc.com/products/true-copper-50983C.html

This thing looks sweet and is 100% copper, no aluminium.

Thanks for the help!

-spks19
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 2:01:16 PM

:o 

$105 for that? Nooooooooo!!!!! That is WAY too much!

On the FrostyTech reviews, he puts the CCF quite a few spots above the regular Ultra Extreme 120, so even with all copper, I'd say it will match the CCF, at best.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 18, 2010 12:27:59 AM

It is an amazing cooler, but it still doesn't solve the OP's height issue. The Noctua is even taller than the CCF.

OP: Can you measure and see how much clearance you have between your CPU and the side of your case? Even an estimate would help greatly.
m
l

Best solution

April 18, 2010 12:58:42 AM

im running a PII x2 555 @ unlocked quad 4ghz with the Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact/TX2 paste. i spread an uber thin coat on the cpu its self, then filled the heatpipe gaps with an extra layer. nothing will monitor temps in windows due to its unlocked status, but the bios typically says around 31c (ASUS M4A89GTD PRO)in a room thats typically 75c. in dual core mode, HWMON was reading around 28C idle, didnt try to put a load on it...i had some UL/OC fun to have :D 

EDIT: 1.42 vcore, Antec TP750

as a side note, the TRUE120 cooler fits in a Rosewill Wind Knight case, for what its worth. it can be found at newegg
April 28, 2010 6:50:39 AM

Height...
When it comes to height I had to cut out two holes on the side of my case door to allow for the copper tube ends to extend. Apparently they measured to the top fin... not the copper... Cooler Master Hyper 212+ that is.

m
l
April 28, 2010 6:52:14 AM

Best answer selected by spks19.
m
l
May 21, 2010 9:21:47 PM

im running a 1090t on an msi 890fx, ocz black ddr3, and 3 5770's. im waiting on delivery for a scythe ninja copper edition i picked up on ebay for about 50$.

( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2304... )

right now when i really run it i have seen 54 oC on prime95 and some other bench tests otherwise it idles around 34-38, with the stock cooler and no overclocking yet.

im thinking of using the smaller aluminum heat sink that sits directly on the top of the cpu on the under side of the scythe and sealing it off for use as a water block as well. (between the cpu and the copper fins there is a tiny aluminum heatsink in there. )

copper is great if your going to push massive amounts of air, otherwise go al.

ill let you know how far i get.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 22, 2010 2:28:21 AM

ucfchuck said:
im thinking of using the smaller aluminum heat sink that sits directly on the top of the cpu on the under side of the scythe and sealing it off for use as a water block as well. (between the cpu and the copper fins there is a tiny aluminum heatsink in there. )

copper is great if your going to push massive amounts of air, otherwise go al.

ill let you know how far i get.

What? Seal off the fins on the bottom? That won't work. Water blocks are specially designed for water to flow through, and that sink is made for air, so it won't work. It would be redundant to use both air and water, it won't do anything for your temps. If you are thinking about water cooling, start by reading the sticky at the top of the overclocking forum, and prepare to spend quite a bit of time and money on it.

And what exactly do you mean by "copper is great if your[sic] going to push massive amounts of air, otherwise go al."? A smaller copper heatsink will cool better than a larger aluminum cooler (if the same design is used, just scaled) with the same amount of airflow.
m
l
!