catharsis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
ok, Since some time I've been encountering a bit of a problem with my rather new PC. I dont even know weither this is the right section of the forum to post it under, but since I cant find any info on the net about it whatsoever, I'll start off on here.

What happens is this. For some time now, if I turn on my PC he starts booting for 3 seconds or something, then turns himself off again, waits for a few more second, then fires up again and starts up. Once he's up and running there's no problem. On very rare occasions, it reboots quite a few times and then gives me the message

Memory frequency for DDR3 1067. Warning : the previous performance of overclocking is failed and the system is restored to the default setting.

I dont overclock my memory. We ran some memtests to see if the problem was the memroy but these dont show anything going wrong.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Sounds like my PC :)

Do you have an MSI mainboard? I do and it always does a "false" boot before starting up, this is by design, I believe it has somthing to do with performing some tests before starting up for real.

The message your seeing is one you see when your RAM or its settings are not 100% compatible with your mainboard. What is your RAM and its spec? I've seen problems with DDR3 RAM generating the same messages because it was factory overclocked "enthusiast" RAM.

You should probobly run memtest for a few hours and see if any errors appear. You can download the ISO to make a bootable CD if you google it.

catharsis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
It is indeed an MSI X48C Platinum. It didnt used to double boot when I just assembled it. That only started after a few months.

The ram is indeed factory overclocked I believe : Corsair TW3X2G1600C9DHX, DDR3, PC12800, 2048MB. We already ran quite some extended memtesting but that didnt show anything awkward.

I dont mind the double reboot, I was just affraid that it's something harmfull for my PC. I should stress that once he's up and running he works like a sharm without any problem whatsoever.

thx for the help, much appreciated.

leo2kp

Distinguished
First time I've ever heard a PC called a "he" lol. Mine have always been my "girls" ;)

This is a common problem even among X58 boards. My computer does it too and it pisses me off like crazy because I just know my Velociraptors are getting a nice beefy jolt of electricity every time it turns on. /cringe

catharsis

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
hehe, I hadn't even thought about why i called it "he" rather then "it" till you mentioned that, hm, that certainly gives me something to think about lol

Well, in that case I know im not the only one and that there is little to be done. Problem "solved" :)

thx for the info