Sign in with
Your question

Rebuilding a system using some old parts

Last response: in Systems
December 4, 2008 2:55:51 AM

I have a 3 year old setup and was going to upgrade by switching out the CPU, mobo, video card and RAM.
I was thinking about:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
MSI P45 Platinum
DIAMOND Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Patriot Viper 4GB DDR2 1066

I have an Antec case with a 500 watt power supply and a 250 gig hard drive that I was hoping to reuse. Can I use the current hard drive and information on it with the new system or will I need to reformat and start over? Also will the 500 watt power supply be enough or should I upgrade that too. Cash is a little short so I was hoping to stay around $600 but I can spend more if I have too.

Any advice would be great.

Chip Attig
December 4, 2008 4:36:40 AM

No way to get the 4 parts you listed for $600 or less.
Those parts alone on newegg come to a total of $707.96

If that 500w power supply is 3 years old I would definitely consider upgrading it if you're going to run that setup with a 4870, especially if you intend on overclocking.

Here's a setup that meets your budget:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz $119.99
This processor will easily overclock beyond the stock speed of the e8500.

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P45 $104.99
Solid motherboard, good overclocker and should be fine for your needs. However, if you want a board with 2 pci-e x16 slots for Crossfire, then you should consider a board with an x48 chipset, which will cost you more.

DIAMOND 4870PE51G Radeon HD 4870 1GB $274.99
Same video card you chose. It's a good, fast card. Though if you're not running a resolution of 1920x1200 or above, you don't really need the 1GB.

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $43.99
Good DDR2 800 RAM is all you need, unless you're going for an extreme overclock, which it doesn't sound like you are.

Antec EA650 650W PSU $59.99
Decent 650w PSU with plenty of amps on the 12v rails for your setup. A Corsair or PCP&C would be better, but they are more expensive.

Total: $603.95

Regarding the hard drive, yes you will have to reinstall your operating system (and it's recommended that you format the drive while doing so). Back up the files you want to keep onto CD/DVD or you could get a new HDD for the new system and use your current drive as a secondary storage drive.
December 4, 2008 4:19:55 PM

Well there are a few things that I didn't put in my first post that might help. The power supply is a little over a year old, the first one died when someone decided to use a backhoe to put in a new water line and hit the underground power lines, lol.

I am running a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and my current video card, a nvidia 7900gt, is dying.

The video card is fine until I start running anything that put stress on it then I get texture tears and artifacts. Also anytime I use Photoshop or Illustrator all the colors that show up a bit off, yellow shows up as an orange color.

The parts I listed before do come out close to $600 dollars after mail-in rebates. In total the rebates were $80, so the $707 is then $627.

I started out thinking that I could just replace the video card. Then I thought that maybe I should do more, so I looked at mobo, CPU and ram. My current CPU is a single core AMD 3700+.

So should I just replace the video card with something cheap and wait to rebuild the whole thing, replace the video card with something that I will use in the next build, or just rebuild the whole thing now.

The reason I was trying to save money is that I am currently out of work. If I get a job money should not be a problem and I could build a whole new computer but right now I am just trying to get by and fix the video card problem.

I was trying to decide if it was better/more cost effective, to just replace the video card or do a partial upgrade to get me by till I can afford to rebuild everything.

I was also thinking that if I replaced the parts that I talked about in the first post, that I would not need to upgrade for a year or two instead of 6-12 months if I just replaced the video card.

Chip
!