Does this flow diagram look good?

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Main thread-

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286312-33-8800-upgrade-benchmarks#t2124158

Here is my flow diagram- what do you think?

starts at reservoir: reservoir to pump, pump to gpu, gpu to top radiator, top radiator to bottom radiator, bottom radiator to reservoir,

IMG_4085edit1.jpg

IMG_4673edit2.jpg

Solution
Rads add VERY little restriction, no worries.

Restriction increases with smaller tubes. So the flow rate with smaller tubes is less. Physics. The pump has to overcome restrictions from hose, angles, water blocks etc etc. You take ANY pump, restrict it enough, and the flow rate drops to zero. So dunno where you get smaller tubes increases flow rates.

Don't worry about equalizing pressure. It's a NON issue. It's never discussed at forums where world class overclockers hang out. Nada one bit. It's a closed loop is why.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Just need one rad, do one first, check the second for leaks. You'd gain such a tiny bit with two rads, it's in percntages of gains for that heatload.

Otherwise just fine.

On your other thread, hopefully others can answer the questions (LOL) you had.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
The water temp anywhere in the loop is 1-3C difference anywhere. The pump actually makes heat too. The pump can handle it.

Res before pump is the only rule you have to follow.

Second if you can is rad then CPU.

The main thing is ease of routing tubing. Except res before pump inlet.

Pressure isn't important as is flow rate. but not enough pressure crates flow rate problems due to to much restriction and/or a weak pump.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
Yeah, I was reading about flow rate, and I thought getting 1/2" hose would improve cooling, but I read thinner hose increases flow rate. So I might have been better off getting smaller hose.

But my pump is a powerful one, so hopefully it should do.

Conumdrum, do you think two radiators is gonna create to much restriction? I was planning on going sli in a few months, and I just want to make sure I get enough cooling. I've seen people running 2 or 3 radiators in there systems on the same pump, but Its rare to see people doing flow rate or temp comparisons, so I wasn't sure.

I tried to think about flow pressure in my diagram, I thought have the flow go from the gpu to the top radiator then to the bottom would help with that because the volume of the liquid in the radiators is going down towards gravity, and I thought that could help equalize the pressure a little bit when it is going towards the reservoir. Does that make sense?

Thanks. :)

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Rads add VERY little restriction, no worries.

Restriction increases with smaller tubes. So the flow rate with smaller tubes is less. Physics. The pump has to overcome restrictions from hose, angles, water blocks etc etc. You take ANY pump, restrict it enough, and the flow rate drops to zero. So dunno where you get smaller tubes increases flow rates.

Don't worry about equalizing pressure. It's a NON issue. It's never discussed at forums where world class overclockers hang out. Nada one bit. It's a closed loop is why.

Solution

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008

Thanks conumdrum. :)

I got the flow rate thing from this article, but I reread it and apparently I read it wrong. Good article though.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2007/08/22/watercooling_101/5

Anyways, I feel a lot better about my setup. Can't wait till I get it all up and going. I'm stoked. :D