SERIOUS HELP NEEDED.(965 BE)

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I have spent so much time looking how to overclock my 965 BE C2 and I need some help guys....

I see so many guys who say they have stable 3.8ghz with just stock voltages or low 1.4s...
I am at 18.5 multiplier 3.7ghz with 1.475v and its failing on prime 95 on small FFTs.
My nb speed is 2400 mhz (I heard thats the sweet spot????) with 1.275 currently testing on prime 95...
but these settings will most likely fail again.

Why the heck do I need so much voltage just to stay at 3.7?? What am I doing wrong....
I heard 2400 speed should be fine with just 1.25v for nb...and mines not working...

Some one please tell me what to do....feel like taking out that chip and stomping on it a few times. Maybe that will work.

I have 4 gigs of ocz gold 1333mhz ram
asus xtd evo mobo

Solution

I would say right off forget what you've heard because obviously its not working for you, and you're making some of the same mistakes others running Black Edition AMD CPUs make.

FYI; You are the owner of an unlocked multiplier CPU, what does that mean?
It means you have purchased one of the easiest CPUs on the planet to OC, because you can leave everything within specifications, and raise the CPUs Vcore voltage to match the multiplier level you choose to run, that is within the capabilities of the CPU.

At this point you just need to take a few deep breaths ease your mind and prepare to start from scratch.

My OCing goal is a 24/7/365 OC, I'm presently running my 965 at 4.0G at 1.424v using a 20X multiplier and I see no reason why you're not running 4.0G rock solid, that is only a 600mhz OC that your AMD CPU can do with its hands tied behind its back, other than you're OCing off bad information, probably because they're applying older AMD OCing methods that are not necessary, and sometimes flat don't work.

I've had my 965 stable at 4.30G, however I'm air cooling and I'm not leaving it set to the Vcore it required to get there for long term use.

Heres what you need to do, first all your voltages need to be on auto except your DDR slot voltage and your CPUs Vcore, all your specs need to be their default settings like your NB you have set to 2400 needs to be 2000.

You need to manually set your memory Timings and Voltage to your memory manufacturers specifications, this is very important when raising the multiplier because any inconsistencies outside the specifications increase as the multiplier increases, and you don't want to leave the M/B on auto in charge of trying to correct it, because it cannot correct it.

So in other words anything set outside its spec'd window increases as a problem as your multiplier increases, so you will probably never find a stable solution taking that OC route.

Now that everything is set back to its specifications set your multiplier to 20 and start with a Vcore about 1.350v, try to boot into windows, if the boot is unsuccessful increase the Vcore to the next increase and try again, continue until it boots into Windows, it will probably boot to Windows around 1.400V but will not be stable.

Which ever voltage gets you into Windows to the desktop with not be sufficient to run stable, so run 3DM06 as a litmus test, and continue 1 step voltage increases until you can run 3DM06 and get a score.

Forget Prime95 there is no application I know of, that is going to run all 4 cores 100%, programs like Prime95 are necessary when an OC requires manipulating FSB speeds, PLL, VTT, and GTL voltages but keep in mind all your specifications are within their spec'd windows, so you haven't taken any of that outside specification so once you discover the proper Vcore to run the multiplier chosen, and 3DM06 will run to completion you're there.

Click on my CPU-Z Validator in my sig, thats my OC settings I'm running right now to post this to you, I hope this will help you to achieve your goals! Ryan

EDIT; Scroll down in this link and read the Warning.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/255249-29-probably-benchmark-need

Solution

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. So I have followed your guidelines and set everything back to original and found that at 3.8ghz it needed 1.45v to complete the test. (I think its because its c2 not c3). So you are saying that I don't need to change my cpu nb speed and its voltage? Because I heard that stock nb cpu speed is nowhere near optimal.

Also do you mean, if my cpu is able to pass 3dmark06, it can be considered stable for daily uses like gaming internet etc?
I have also read your warning thing and do agree....

What is a litmus test? Because I don't have a registered key I don't have that much option using 3d mark.

BUT THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR HELP
I LOVE TOMSHARDWARE!!!

Obviously the C2 stepping will under perform the C3 thats why AMD released the improved stepping, however 3.8 at 1.45v is a higher stable clock than you had when you started this thread, so you are making progress, what temp range are you in under idle and load.

You can also play around with increasing your NB speed and Voltage you always have that option and if it doesn't help you can go back to where you are now.

What is a litmus test? Because I don't have a registered key I don't have that much option using 3d mark.

A litmus test is a fast way to check if something is within specification, like using a test strip to check a swimming pool for alkali levels, that statement has nothing to do with 3DM06 itself, the free version is fine for what you're doing with it, sorry if that came out confusing.

Also do you mean, if my cpu is able to pass 3dmark06, it can be considered stable for daily uses like gaming internet etc?

That's exactly what I'm saying, as long as everything else is within specifications theres no reason for it not to be stable, unless your memory timings are off or you need to increase the Vcore one more setting, try gaming like it is right now and see.

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

Thanks again for your input,

Unfortunately my cpu is a piece of crap and its crashing alot when I play Grid for about an hour.
I kept raising the Vcore by one unit after it crashes and now I am at 1.4875 at 3.8 ghz.
Which seems pretty dissapointing. I have set the ram timing in bios according to my manufacturer....I think I did that right..
Is the crash only because the cpu is not getting enough voltage? Or do I need to rasie the nb speed and voltage?

jahn6

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010

I am using cooler master h212+ and my temps are 49 under load.. so I don't think its matter of temp.
Thanks!

Its more than likely memory related, If you have your memory set to 1T set it to 2T, your load temps are great that's not your problem.

JTBomb007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

Sorry to like 'hijack' a thread. But i have tried this, and when i put my vcore up, it still says 1.400V in CPUZ, even when i put it on 1.5 in BIOS :S

Can never get Prime to run, as soon as i start it will shut down or when i go higher than 1.5 i will bluescreen.

I started on 1.425 as i didnt have 1.424, had to go higher untill i got into windows...

Am completely new to overclocking...hope you can shout at me and tell this noob what to do have this thing at 4.0GHz, i have the C3 too.

Greetz John