I have a GTX 260 Core 216 right now, and its just not powerful enough for my montior So I am debating either getting another GTX 260 or going the GTX 295 route. I know it is basically just two 260's together, so there shouldn't be any difference if I were to just get another 260 now instead of waiting right?
Well, you will probably be able to get more performance out of two overclocked 260 core 216s than the 295. Considering that the 295 has the same 448 bit memory interface but is stuffed into a dual slot cooling solution you can cool two of those 260s much easier and thus overclock them further. Even if you leave them at stock clocks the performance difference between the 260 core 216s in SLi and the 295 should be pretty small. I say just get another card to SLi them as you have already made an investment in your current board and GPU.
Performance difference will be small, but the GTX295 should still be faster. It has the same clocks as the stock GTX260. You would have to overclock that card pretty far to make up for the lower number of SP. Performance should be close, but the GTX295 is probably a hair faster. Seeing as the performance would be close you need to chose some other metric to decide. Heat, power draw, bundle, price, etc.
Well, I assume it would be cheaper using the EVGA Step Up, if it is priced at $499. I am concerned a little about heat, only because my i7 chip runs so hot (at least compared to the q6600 I had). I will have to wait until the offical reviews come out. Thanks for the advice, I guess I will wait a few weeks before making any decisions.