NZXT "Bio-Mechincal" Khaos Project

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
The KHAOS case arrives at Mnpctech.com

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/9PNgWB8UpDw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

At the end of video, I debated about doing a giger (alien movie) or watchmen, I've chosen the bio-mechnical theme. Heres one of my favorite HR GIGER paintings, "Landshaft XIX" Theres so many details!

NZXTkhaoscasemodlandshaftXIX.jpg

Heres the entire bay assembly removed from the chassis.
NZXTkhaosmod.mnpctech1.jpg

NZXTkhaosmod.mnpctech2.jpg

Whats your remedy for a headache?!
NZXTkhaosmod.mnpctech3.jpg

This is the housing from a small motor I found. I love the design. The skull will be hosting the system Power & Reset switches (22mm & 16mm lamptron vandal switches, w/orange leds) The mounting plate I made (below) attaches to the upper half of the skull.

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech.com.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech.com1.jpg

NZXT Khaos panels look cool, but the hang out in the wind... Maybe keep them and do BATMAN theme mod...lol

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9q.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9r.jpg

We made these 1-1/4" thick, 6061 aluminum. 6.5" O.D front intakes,

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9d.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9g.jpg

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Let's see a final picture of the completed project.Looking good so far.

Dahak

ASUS P5N-D
C2D E8500 STOCK
ZALMAN 9500 CPU COOLER
2X2GIG DDR2 1066 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA GTX 260
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
LG 24IN WS LCD 1920X1080
250GIG HD/500GIG HD
LOGITECH G15 GAMING KEYBOARD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP PRO

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

Thank you, Pre-fitting skull and intake covers now.. I need to fab a 5.25 cage above the skull, thinking I may salvage a quick release style 5.25 bay from the old chieftec dragon tower. Imagine if the skull matte blackalready.. Yum, but I'm still working on detailing the skull, so it will be awhile before I paint it.

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z1.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z2.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z4.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9a.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z5.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z6.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z7.jpg

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
This weekend my focus will go back to adding more details to my friend, Skully.

My Magic Sculptarrived, after receiving the wrong product, Magic Smooth. I can't blame them, the product labels are very similar. Tap's customer service is one of the best I've ever dealt with. They took care of everything quickly, answered emails, and called to follow up with me about crediting the balance on my credit card. Very friendly over the phone. They're the business I strive Mnpctech to be like.

ARTbyTROY posted an excellent comparison of sculpting compounds for case modding. His article prompted my decision to try Magic Sculpt.

magicsculpt.mnpctech.com.jpg

Sculpting Tools I chose
ClayTools.jpg

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I started with the skull today, adding mechanical aspects, like these vented and screw joints.

I will dremel details in these sculpted parts, 24 hrs after Magic Sculpt has fully cured

Small pan head machine screws
biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9n.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9o.jpg

It only takes a few drops of water to smooth the surface of Magic Sculpt
biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9p.jpg

Hex Nut with tooth washer doubles as port for plastic wire loom
biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9q.jpg

biomechanical.casemod.mnpctech9z9r.jpg

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Last night I worked on the chassis.

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com1.jpg

This 1/8" thick aluminum plate will reside underneath the foam/fiberglass top panel, which later will be sculpted with proper ventilation. In this case, a BIX 240 Stealth radiator.

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com2.jpg

I posted radiator template print-outs you can download. (PDF Files)

Before printing, you must select "None" for page scaling in your print dialogue box!

Download Page for each template

Radiator Templates Download Page

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com3.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com4.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com5.jpg

my center punch
radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com6.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com7.jpg

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
God damn it monstermawd you are a god at this. Everytime you post I want to run out and dremel and paint the crap out of everything, wish I had the time for a case mod. This one is particularly kickass since you are taking a monster of a case and making it into something even more beastly! Just bookmarked this thread so you can be sure I'll be watching!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Comment on the video, my Silverstone TJ07 came with a dual PSU jumper like the one in the Khaos case and it was sleeved as well, black and green. Two things pop out to me about that case:

1: Overpriced, it just does not have look like it has the quality other $300-$400 cases and it seemed to be designed with looks and wow factor in mind, and not balanced function.

2: It just does not look like a good watercooling case even with mods. It is a bit tight in there and seems like it would be a bitch to run thick tubing in it.

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks for the comments guys!, back to the bench for this project today, Black Plastic loom in (1/4" and 1/2" diameter) will be embedded and intertwined throughout the bezel and top panel. The entire skull will be painted matte black

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9a.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9b.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9c.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9d.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9e.jpg

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I havent decided on tubing yet. I'm still modding the case.

I carved a basic shape first, for the bezel. Then I'll carve and sculpt notches and crevices into it

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9g.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9h.jpg

radgrill.radiator.install.mnpctech.com9i.jpg

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Wow that would be sick. Run 1/2" or 3/5" tubing through the tubes in the skull. Though it would put MM's watercooling skills to the test trying to bend that tubing like that. I for one like rigid and thick tubing that I know wont break. As cool as it sounds, I'm not sure it would be practical. That said, how much of case modding is practical?

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I see what you mean, I'll probally make the loop very inconspicuous. I hate having water lines in the way when i need access hardware.

If you've ever examined giger's bio-mechincal art up close, especially his paintings.. everything is symmetrical, in one direction while every element of the design is different. Old circuitry is the only way I can describe it. Theres a massive amount of detail. I can already tell it will be overwhelming at times if I'm not in the mood. Theres just no way I or anyone else will come close to replicating his work. You can only draw upon it as inspiration for your own style.

My personal challenge with this project is that my brain likes to see everything symmetrical and matching. "Theres a notch on the left side, so there should be a notch on the right side" I have to force myself to stop thinking like this. However, I also think a lot of people neglect to see these details in his work and it doesn't matter as much I think it does.

giger's "New York VIII" painting

NZXTkhaoscasemodnewyork.jpg

MonsterMawd

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks! :D

Heres the tools I use to sculpt the insulation foam, but it's always good to experiment on your own.

To cut thick foam, I use a snap-off blade utility knife.

foamsculptingtool.stanley.mnpctech.com.jpg

To smooth the pieces, I use a Surfoam Shaver by Stanley Tools
foamsculptingtool.stanley.mnpctech.com1.jpg

For making intricate details in the foam, I'll use an array of the tungsten carbide cutter bits from Dremel, I mainly use the #9911

foamsculptingtool.stanley.mnpctech.com2.jpg