Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Water Cooling- what caused your leak or water cooling failure?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 16, 2010 6:20:29 PM

I am new to water cooling and I have been reading a lot of forums, and a lot of people don't post what the cause of there leaks are or what caused there water cooling failure. I think it's good to have a thread where everyone post's there links, that way if a common problem/part pops up, the community can avoid or find a solution to the problem. So, if anyone one has had leaks in the past, please post in here what caused it, and what your solution was, or if you had a pump fail, what happened?

What caused your leak? (or other water cooling failure)

How did you fix it?
April 16, 2010 9:37:31 PM

Well my only leak was caused by my own stupidity. My first attempt at water cooling was a Tt Aquarius II kit. And after using it for 9 month I decided it was time to do a flush and clean. Well in my stupdity I tried flushing the system with a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and 99% pure isopropyl rubbing alcohol. The alcohol caused the acrylic casing of the pump/reservoir to become very brittle, and when I finished flushing the kit and put fresh coolant in it ran fine for a couple weeks. Then the casing cracked all the way through, and it started leaking all over the bottom of the case.

I ended buying a replacement pump/reservoir, and the first chance i had I sold that P.O.S. on craigslist.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 12:16:01 AM

Built about 12+ loops so far for me/customers. No leaks.

As long as you bled test and don't use cr@p products there won't be leaks.
Score
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 3:15:53 AM

I had a dribble or 3 from barbs. usually because they were not tight enough. Had a loose hoseclamp once, tightened it. All of these things were found with EXTENSIVE leak testing before any power except to the pump was applied.

Bits of paper towels on each fitting, a really good flashlight and attention to detail.

I did say attentiojn to detail right? You did read this? It's in the sticky.

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=...

Score
April 20, 2010 9:59:20 AM

bad clamps made one of my hoses leak a little bit of fluid. i was stupid enough to use the plastic clamps that came with my WC parts. NEVER use those clamps. go to ace warehouse or any hardware store and buy some steel/aluminum clamps like these

bad o-rings on fittings. the only thing that keeps water from going through your threads and all over your pc is that one little o-ring. there are LOTS of fluids out there that will dry out, crack, rot, and break down these o-rings. the main one you need to worry about is any type of alcohol.

i dont deal with o-rings bc i use a rubber like thread seal that hardens into a plastic almost on all my fittings. the fittings going into my res i just use

http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=132&

which is like...an acrylic glue...it pretty much is in liquid form from the tube and hardens into acrylic. i throw a few drops of these onto the threads before i put my fittings on and i never have to worry about leaks from my res ever again =) and if i need new fittings i just go to ace warehouse and buy more for $0.89 each

Score
June 12, 2013 8:13:33 PM

Im not sure if youll get this because im posting this 2 years later, but im having a problem where I think the threading on one of the ports in my radiator is stripped and is leaking with various fittings, making me come to the conclusion it is in fact the port and not my fittings, even the cap that came with the rad wont seal it. Anyways i4yue, could you specify on what resin/glue you used, as I think it might seal my problem, I have the outlet on a different port now, seing as there were 3 ins and 3 outs, but the cap for the port still wont seal. So, I might be able to put some sealant on the thread of the cap and seal off the leak. So which one did you use?
Score
a c 224 K Overclocking
June 13, 2013 2:45:48 AM

Nedyahiske said:
Im not sure if youll get this because im posting this 2 years later, but im having a problem where I think the threading on one of the ports in my radiator is stripped and is leaking with various fittings, making me come to the conclusion it is in fact the port and not my fittings, even the cap that came with the rad wont seal it. Anyways i4yue, could you specify on what resin/glue you used, as I think it might seal my problem, I have the outlet on a different port now, seing as there were 3 ins and 3 outs, but the cap for the port still wont seal. So, I might be able to put some sealant on the thread of the cap and seal off the leak. So which one did you use?

Standard G1/4 threading is also the same as 1/4" NPT, which is the standard for literally all pneumatic air tools, get yourself a brass fully threaded hose barbed fitting in 1/4" NPT threading and use teflon tape back aways from the start of the threads in the leaky fitting hole, it will go much further in and stop the leaking.

Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
June 13, 2013 8:23:50 AM

Quote:

Please open a new thread instead of commenting on a thread that is more than 2 years old. Thanks.
Score
!