Asus Anti-Surge Protection Technology for motherboard

xmanli

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hi
There have been a lot of factors in choosing a motherboard. Recently, Asus have introduced a new, antisurge protection technology, to its motherboards. This feature is not yet found on other brands.
As I am planning to build a new PC, I would like to get recommendation from expert regarding this feature. How much weight shall I put on this feature in my decision of getting a new motherboard? Or this feature is just an extra useless feature due to currently stablized branded power supply units ?
Thank you in advance
Xmanli

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009

Difficult to say when you don't list this "antisurge" feature. However interface logic that withstands 2000 and 15,000 volts without damage has been industry available from all semiconductor manufacturers per international standards.

Among many functions standard in power supplies is some surge protection. However, when marketing to computer assemblers who only buy on dollars and watts, then many supply manufacturers can increase profits by selling at a lower price while forgetting to include some essential functions.

These inferior supplies are provided without the full sheet of numeric specs because so many 'customers' don't have basic electrical knowledge - did not even know about protection routinely found in better supplies.

Any protection put on its power cord is already inside the supply. However the rare and typically destructive surge must be earthed before entering the building. If surge energy gets dissipated harmlessly in earth, then protection inside all (properly designed) computers is not overwhelmed.

Building is full of appliances that require protection. Protection inside everything not overwhelmed if you properly earth only one 'whole house' protector. Such devices are only available from more responsible companies such as GE, Siemens, Intermatic, Keison, Leviton, and Square D. A Cutler-Hammer version sells in Lowes for less than $50. And (of course), building earthing must meet and exceed post 1990 National Electrical Code requirements.

Will some magic box stop what three miles of sky could not stop? So that protection inside all appliances (including furnace, smoke detectors, and dishwasher) is not overwhelmed, earth it before that surge even enters the building.

Surge energy dissipated in earth does not dissipate destructively inside household appliances. A surge permitted inside the building may find destructive paths to earth via household appliances; may overwhelm protection routinely found in properly designed computers.

Two recommendations - a power supply that is not missing essential functions to increase its profits and sell at well below $60 (which means it also provides numeric specs in writing). And earthing every incoming utility wire by inspecting (or upgrading) earth ground and by installing one 'whole house' protector.