Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking a old 3200+

Tags:
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 16, 2010 9:56:20 PM

i have an old AMD 64 3200+ laying around and I wanted to make my GF and nice little offfice comp. My question is how much could i overclock it with the stock fan and not break the thing? I know I probably dont need to overclock it but its kind of a test bed for the build i will be doing in november. BTW im new to this forum and would like to say hi to everybody. This site is a lifesaver, ive learned more about my pc in 16 days then the last 10 years, I wish i would of known about this site last year when i built my last rig.

More about : overclocking 3200

a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 2:13:15 PM

Hello liquid, and welcome to the forums. :) 

Depending on your motherboard you may or may not be able to overclock your CPU - my Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz couldn't overclock, because my ASUS K8N motherboard didn't support it. AFAIK, AMD stock coolers are pretty good, and if you can overclock your CPU, you could probably push it a bit. just make sure to check temps. If it is the Athlon 3200+ S754, then the max temp is ~70°C, and I wouldn't let the CPU get above 60°C on full load using Prime 95.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
April 17, 2010 2:52:32 PM

liquidchild said:
i have an old AMD 64 3200+ laying around and I wanted to make my GF and nice little offfice comp. My question is how much could i overclock it with the stock fan and not break the thing? I know I probably dont need to overclock it but its kind of a test bed for the build i will be doing in november. BTW im new to this forum and would like to say hi to everybody. This site is a lifesaver, ive learned more about my pc in 16 days then the last 10 years, I wish i would of known about this site last year when i built my last rig.

Finally a post that applies to Ryan's Rule #1; Never overclock your wife's or in your case girlfriend's computer!

What you'd gain overclocking that CPU isn't worth the instability that will tag along, and probably won't help you come Novembers build.

If you have some idea of the projected future build you're planning and intend to overclock it, I strongly suggest you study overclocking guides until then and prepare yourself for todays OCing.

The 3200+ has a locked multiplier so you'll have to go, the increase FSB route etc.

Your GF will probably be more happy with a rock solid running machine than one she's constantly having you to come straighten out, but on second thought, that may actually be your goal! :D 
m
l
!